Static chainsaw mill

Big J

That doesn't follow. Besides, I was thinking more of design and build quality.

I've not used either of these mills, but if there's one thing I've learned in this industry, time and time again, it's that you get what you pay for.

A mate from work has bought one of these and from what he has told me i think i would be asking for my money back if it was mine.

The bed comes in sections but what he did not notice until he started using it was the sections were made from different thicknesses of steel i.e one section 6mm and the other 5mm result is bowed in the middle

The carraige has no measuring device on it so its difficult to do repeat cuts its all a bit guess work

the carraige runs on trolly wheels which are a bad fit and i think have now gone out of shape all this just after a few logs

oh and there is no clamping device to hold the log either

Johnsered make one which i did see at one of the shows a little bit more expensive but as Quickthorn says you get what you pay for.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I've said this a few times but I have been testing the new static mill from the maker of Alaskan mills - it's very good.

This has been further modified and I should get the new one soon (ish).

It's not perfect but from using it and some of the features I would say it will revolutionise chainsaw milling when it finally comes out.

But I can't give away any details yet so.... sorry bout that! :blushing:

How much fuel does a day's flat out chainsaw milling use up...?

We found that doing wide Oak boards with a 3/8ths chain on an MS660 was ending up as a tankfull per board.

If you like the bar and chain on a static setup, why not look at making up a four stroke or electric version- Milling's such a 'torquey' job it's a shame to crouch all day over a red hot two stroke revving like the clappers and getting a faceful of hydrocarbons and a headful of noise.....

I wonder what sprockets you can get, it would be lovely to make a mill with a low revving vertical shaft mower engine- a much cheaper power head than an 880.

Fuel is a massive cost, we found it was a big saving moving from a petrol engined Wood Mizer to a diesel running on red, despite more or less twice the power and a much higher output of timber

How much fuel does a day's flat out chainsaw milling use up...?

We found that doing wide Oak boards with a 3/8ths chain on an MS660 was ending up as a tankfull per board.

If you like the bar and chain on a static setup, why not look at making up a four stroke or electric version- Milling's such a 'torquey' job it's a shame to crouch all day over a red hot two stroke revving like the clappers and getting a faceful of hydrocarbons and a headful of noise.....

I wonder what sprockets you can get, it would be lovely to make a mill with a low revving vertical shaft mower engine- a much cheaper power head than an 880.

Fuel is a massive cost, we found it was a big saving moving from a petrol engined Wood Mizer to a diesel running on red, despite more or less twice the power and a much higher output of timber

id be thinking about using hydraulic motors then.... plenty of torque, speed adjustable etc etc etc!!!!!!!

id be thinking about using hydraulic motors then.... plenty of torque, speed adjustable etc etc etc!!!!!!!

Nice!

Very much the same as the original Trekkasaw (bandsaw), a hydraulic motor on the head and hoses snaking off to an engine or PTO driven pump..... I think Autotreks are the same. Diesel chainsaw mills :thumbup1:

LOGLOGIC // Product Range // Autotrek Mobile Sawmill System

I know I've said this a few times but I have been testing the new static mill from the maker of Alaskan mills - it's very good.

This has been further modified and I should get the new one soon (ish).

It's not perfect but from using it and some of the features I would say it will revolutionise chainsaw milling when it finally comes out.

But I can't give away any details yet so.... sorry bout that! :blushing:

How long roughly as need a mill quite soon.

You can't just leave it like that:sneaky2: