Remove or Reduce open to thoughts

3dogs

I have just applied for consent to work on a large Horse chestnut that requires the usual remedial work, however there is a considerably large limb that my client would like removing, for two reasons 1 - to benefit from the extra light gained and, 2 - as they are generally concerned that this limb could fail.

There is sign of compression within the limb but generally the tree is in good condition. Any thoughts anyone.

CIMG1461.jpg.a9c4263350a1fa70848a2b60da44da98.jpg

The limb is the one reaching out to the left.

CIMG1463.jpg.2ebd8966b493761d0a5a0c23c4da5053.jpg

Edited by 3dogs

If you cut the entire left lower limb you are putting a massive wound into the tree. Loss of photosynthetic area and decay are a concern then. Conversely leaving the limb is not going to happen because of the owners and I think there may be issues of the limb eventually subsiding or splitting off.

In the second photo it is not clear to me if there is a split, with lots of callus growth, on the top of the limb or not.

I think at the minimum a (considerable) reduction in length and maybe a cable. Reduced length will reduce the lever arm length and thus the movement and torqueing at the union resulting in a limb less susceptible to breakage. The cable can also be used to reduce breakage and as a method to catch a broken limb.

That limb looks like about a third of the tree. I reckon it would look odd if the whole thing was removed, top heavy and would definately put some stress on the tree. I'd side with mrtree here and look at a reduction of the limb possibly in conjunction with bracing.

I would be inclined to dramatically reduce the limb, but not remove it.

Chestnuts are so quick to rot, I would not want to create such a large wound on the stem.

I'm not a massive fan of bracing, unless the owner is very proactive and will maintain it correctly.

Sorry no more pics, no ground movement. And that's the problem this limb has fail written all over it but without the signs to back up that view.

There are also no good targets to reduce too without the tree looking odd and creating large wounds so i am somewhat at a dilemma.

I have applied for total removal and a remedial prune of the remaining canopy but i will be very interested to see what the tree officer comes back with.

I'm not a fan of bracing it tends just to prolong the inevitable, better to remove and replace imo.

Bracing does not equal cabling. Bracing is with rods. You only brace if you are installing a cable (perhaps very small pears are an exception).

I am curious why you say "... this limb has fail written all over it but without the signs to back up that view" , either the limb has signs or not. What have you done to investigate? Have you climbed to inspect the union, are there cracks or included bark, is there a reduced cross-secitonal area, have you installed a line and rocked the limb?

If your client wants to remove the limb and you are supporting this in the application, do you not need to provide evidence for your proposal for such a drastic limb removal?