Trees, People and the Built Environment

Paul Barton

Hands up if you find it frustrating that trees are often low on the agenda when it comes to development and design of the urban landscape....

Do you wish that town planners, landscape architects and building architects listened to Arbs more?

Would you like Arboriculture to be taken more seriously by other professions...thereby improving your long-term job prospects and making your working life more interesting?

If you have answered yes to any of the above then you may want to consider being at the Institute of Chartered Foresters conference in Birmingham in April this year.

The conference is going to bring together lots of professionals from across the globe and the line up of speakers will be very varied.

Hope to see some of you there:thumbup:

ICF_2011_FLYER_A5_STANDARD.pdf

Trees_People_and_the_Built_Environment_Programme pdf.pdf

For me, I tend to find that space is low on the agenda. Out here, there is so much effort to squeeze housing & reduce "urban sprawl", that what I call Urban Compaction is virtually worse.

I am surprised at that - I would have thought you have less worries about space over in the USA.

I like the term Urban Compaction....it is engrained in planning policy here now although more often referred to as urban intensification and in-filling. Greenbelt countryside around towns is almost sacrosanct so in-filling existing urban areas is all the rage. This is putting alot of pressure on urban greenspace and parks/sports fields/gardens are being built on everywhere.

In my opinion this has a long term detrimental effect of making urban areas less attractive as places to live...maybe continuing the urban sprawl is better than that?

• 1 month later...

What an interesting thread. Would love to be at the conference but busy. A detailed write up would be most interesting and well appreciated.

How many drive into (or through) "green" areas or "leafy suburbs" with lots of mature trees and think to themselves "oh this is a lovely area, I'd love to live around here".

Yet when they buy their brand new build houses, the tree in the front garden is the first thing to get the chop as it "blocks light" or drops leaves.