Self employed and insurance

Ty Unnos

Hi All

I am registered self employed and have CS30 and 31.

Three scenarios:

1. I am working at home (1/2 acre plot) felling trees for firewood / laying hedge etc. There is a public footpath that crosses our land. Do I need insurance? What else do I need to think about?

2. I am working alone in a woodland that I own felling / cutting firewood? There is no public access. Do I need insurance? What kind? Anything else?

3. I am working on a neighbours land. I am not being paid for work but am sharing the firewood with them. Do I need insurance? What kind? Anything else?

All advice welcome!

I would have thought for 1 and 3 you will need public liability insurance, although I'm not user on the level you'll require £1m, £5m or £10m.

I do forestry and have to have £5m public liability just to abide by the rules of my contract.

As for scenario 2 if it's your own land then it's entirely up to you. I would bet most people will not bother with insurance in this instance. Just consider any hazards ie wires, buildings, livestock that could be harmed as a result of an accident, then again it's up to you whether or not to be insured.

In all cases, always have a several forms of regular contact and communication when working with a saw on your own. Always have an escape/rescue routine planned. When working near the public have this info on display in case you hurt yourself and a passer by needs to know what to do (you will have been shown this in your CS31 course). Always use signs to alert of the danger.

Legally you dont need any insurance, although I dont agree with that personally.

But, if there is a possibility of damaging or injuring a third party you should really get public liability.

Its only when you are employing someone you need by law employers liability.

Cant remember about professional indemnity but that wont apply to what your asking about anyway.

There is no legal requirement to have PL (Public Liability) insurance. However if you damage someone or even worse something then your in deep doo doo without it. IF you employ someone it's a legal requirment to have employers liability.

For you situation 1&3 you'd need PL. Things like fences you might just repair your self but if you ruin a surfaced footpath the council will want to claim on your PL. You'll need a set of signs and probally look outs if felling across the path.

Make sure you have some sort of contact method if cutting on your own. Lone working maybe frouned on by your insurance.

Try Gary Alexander at the Beech Tree insurance (look on google), he's always done us a good quote and can tailor your insurance to what you do. That way your not paying the same rate as a high risk job.