looking for work

Alasdair

Ok i know you must be fed up of me posting about jobs, but bare with me on this one as i could be the last one. i have finished college and im now trying to get a job i passed all my tests and have a driving licence ive had a couple of interviews but im having no joy with anything. i have no experience and i know this is putting people off. so im wondering if theres another way to jazz myself up for employers to say to themselfs i want to employ him????? :banghead:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them who you are and what other skills you have that they can use (can you weld etc) honesty is important, don't sell yourself as a cracking demolition climber if you are not comfortable on spikes.

Try and get some trial days with companies, work for free for a day to get to know them and some experience.

You live in Ayrshire, are you willing to travel?

Not to put a downer on things but, I'm not sure how good a time it is to be looking just now. The market is slowing down rapidly.

Jamie

tuppy, you seem like a good lad so dont take this the wrong way, but you look like a serial killer in your avatar pic. if you arrived for an interview with that deadpan face i'd be worried you'd attack me at random with a chainsaw when out on the job.

Jamie - evryone i have spoke to about jobs i tell them the only experience i have is what i done in college for my tests. i am willing to travel do you have something in mind?

matty - i made a mistake with my wording i am looking for a job.

Mani - i wear a suit and dont look as scary when meeting with people. haha but i like ur honesty

Jamie - evryone i have spoke to about jobs i tell them the only experience i have is what i done in college for my tests.

straight away that says only good to drag brushwood and may put him up a tree if time at end of day.

take jamie's advice: Try and get some trial days with companies, work for free for a day to get to know them and some experience. but dont let the take the p*ss. only one day should be free per company.

i know a turkish guy who used to work as a potwasher before and after his tickets and struggled like you but he did a few freebies and i've seen him work lately and he's not bad, come on in leaps and bounds.

there will be someone who will take you on but you do have to work for it to find it.

when i started in 92 i sent out 150 letters over 70 mile radius and got 15 replies.

its not easy but be persistant and patient and an employer will soon see this as a quality

if you find you get nowhere pm me and i will see if i can help you down here but i am in south wales

Yeah the suit doesn't say wood cutter to me either. smart but casual.

if you send a cv off follow it up with a phone call.

When i stayed in Ayr some guy from Imrie lived round teh corner (i never went to see him however).

Jamie