Silver Birch & Pine

Jonny Burch

Evening All

I'm after some advise please.

I've been asked by a clay shoot I go to with 29 acres (so they say) if I would like to clear their ground of Silver Birch and Pine. There's a fair bit of really small stuff to clear but a large majority is of good sized trees.

The reason for clearing is that it's part of a heathland project plan on which their ground is on.

I'm really keen on the idea and grateful for the work as I'm only a small business and see any opportunity like this as a step towards bigger things!

The advise I'm after is what to do with the timber?! I'd like to keep some of the Birch to mix in with some other wood for my folks and friends but don't have any room to store the rest. How do I go about selling it? Is it as simple as me posting this thread? Also what kind of money would I be able to make from it?

For those that might be interested access is good and you could get a lorry in if need be though I dont have any machinery to load it.

I appreciate I'm a novice and hopefully I won't get laughed at for taking on a project like this but seeing as you're all nice chaps I thought you could maybe give me some help.

Many thanks

Jonny:001_smile:

Hi jonny, start a thread in the firewood bit as long as you can get it roadside with access for an artic you shouldnt have to much trouble shifting it. as for price it depends if you are buying the standing timber or if you are being paid to cut it and the customer wants to sell the wood.

Firstly you will need a felling licence. It might well be a little tricky to obtain if you are planning to clearfell the site without any plans to replant. I'm no expert though, so I might be wrong.

Secondly, you shouldn't have any issues selling the timber, whether as cordwood or split. For maximum return I'd split as much as possible and hold onto it until seasoned. Sell the pine at 80% of the price of the birch. I think that the best way to make the most from any section of woodland is to sell final product where possible. Why sell at £35-40 a tonne when the final split, dried product is worth £160 a tonne (based on green weight and volume). Much of the product will be processor perfect - hire one in on a day rate!

Just ideas, but it's something I would consider in your position.

Hi eggsarascal

Thanks I'll start that thread in the firewood bit. I'm getting all the free shooting I want and I get to keep any money for timber sold too. I'm starting the job on tues so will check the car park there is big enough for an arctic.

Thanks for the advise:biggrin:

Hi J

Thanks as well. I'll be on the phone first thing ref felling licence. I'm gonna get all the grotty clearing out of the way first before anything else. I'd love to be able to store all the split timber but don't have any where to store such an amount! If any one's reading this and from Surrey and knows of anywhere where I can store it please get in touch.

:001_smile:

Hi Rob

Yeah its a no hurry job. the ground was gonna have a works party in october to try and do a bit then a few other times next year. I just piped up and asked and they accepted there and then. I'ts just a good step for me on the ladder (I hope!) I'm really looking forward to the challenge! Though I'm looking to get it done a bit quicker than 2 years!!!

As for the Avatar, that's my daughter Zara who's 6 months today! She's hilarious!

:biggrin:

you may not need a license then as you are allowed to cut a certain amount without one, 5 cube per calendar quarter i think but you better check and if there is windblown and dangerous trees they dont count etc etc :biggrin:

phone and check mate or wait and someone on here will be able to tell you the correct information.

good luck with it though, your daughter is a wee cracker:thumbup:

Hi JONNY

as said a felling licence will be required 4 weeks the norm , you said that the site was heathland is it a sssi ,if so the owners must be in contact with a wildlife trust or natural england to have a managment plan in place .if it is not a sssi and is heath land be very carfull because the do gooders will be watching and after the end of march it is birdbreeding season and if you start upseting some off the rare spiecies even mating areas you and you alone would be the villian , that goes for snakes and lizards they love heathland.