AA arborists working group

jaime bray

Then oops! Spoke to AA rep when he was doing lolar check, I did not mention it and neither did he. We covered most thing H & S.

They[ empoyees] are also doing work placement training and it has'nt been brought up, ignorance was bliss.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then oops! Spoke to AA rep when he was doing lolar check, I did not mention it and neither did he. We covered most thing H & S.

They[ empoyees] are also doing work placement training and it has'nt been brought up, ignorance was bliss.

I wouldn't worry, its part of HASAW act and has been for years. Employers have to monitor/control all potential harm/hazards.

Its not talked about much as its difficult to harness it for money making, unlike LOLER and training. :001_rolleyes:

I wouldn't worry, its part of HASAW act and has been for years. Employers have to monitor/control all potential harm/hazards.

Its not talked about much as its difficult to harness it for money making, unlike LOLER and training. :001_rolleyes:

I do get the odd tingle in my right hand, but more bothered about the hawthorn deep in my finger joint. I am monitoring that!:crying:

I think this is why the AA needs to do a bit of lobbying towards things like tax breaks on climbing equipment and chainsaw protection, as from "our" point of view it can look slightly like there is only proper interest in areas where money can be generated, not purely a regulatory system which happens to create revenue!

It would show that the AA are not just regulating but also representing!

I think this is why the AA needs to do a bit of lobbying towards things like tax breaks on climbing equipment and chainsaw protection, as from "our" point of view it can look slightly like there is only proper interest in areas where money can be generated, not purely a regulatory system which happens to create revenue!

It would show that the AA are not just regulating but also representing!

The AA only regulate those who join their scheme. they have no power over anyone else.

The government consult the like of the AA and training providers when drawing up guide lines and legislation. The latter will always advice things that increase their revenue stream.

The AA only regulate those who join their scheme. they have no power over anyone else.

The government consult the like of the AA and training providers when drawing up guide lines and legislation. The latter will always advice things that increase their revenue stream.

Which is why they need to begin doing a little fighting from our corner, i'm all for sensible regulation and across the board membership of upstanding arb firms but they wont get that unless they are seen to be helping us also, re my previous post.

So am i to think that once everyone is a member the AA may abuse that power in the name of creating a revenue for themselves? also (possibly) an argurment for my previous post to show that they are interested in representing, and not just creaming our profits...

should the system work so that: the government do the regulating and the AA the representing? (while keeping a keen eye on the ground for the government)

It must be said I'm becoming a little confused as to motives etc, and i'm only scratching the surface...

Edited by treemeup

James,

I dont see why you couldnt come along, there is still scope for more input, people like yourself are ideal as you have in place the relevant stuff, Its not a kind of anyone can just turn up as and when, Its a voluntary thing and there will be AA staff there that we discuss things that the AA can do to raise the industry standards,

one thing that i asked the other contractors at the meeting last week was, does doing the right thing and running it by the book focus the minds of employees once they get their head around it, and also do you have more pride in your company?

Treemeup

If you want the AAC to be sold to you contact AA teccie, Something was mentioned at the meeting of the newer simplified assessment process or criteria etc for smaller companies, not sure how big your firm is, but i was slightly intrigued,

I remember reading in one of the arb news mags about a two man company that went arb approved, He did say he focused a lot more and was a lot more effective in business, But to be honest thats another thread, i have no working knowledge of the scheme to pass comment,

Hama I will ask the question to them Can/does the loler/puwer have to carried out in the way it does, can it be simplified, some of you in here will know the answer to that question and may give guidance,

A generic terms and conditions sheet would be of use, When I asked they said they would consider getting the legal team to ensure that whats produced is of sound content, and If I remember rightly some of the AAC were going to donate theres to enable a broader covering of all relevant issues within it,

Could be a good place to start,

James,

Hama I will ask the question to them Can/does the loler/puwer have to carried out in the way it does, can it be simplified, some of you in here will know the answer to that question and may give guidance,

basicaly what happens for us is that we end up having to do all these checks and formalities at the end of a working day, which is like punishing staff for efficiency, and it breeds contempt for the system which is pretty daft for anyone who knows what they are doing.

i have to waste so much time in a job that to me is so mindnumbingly dull it makes me loathe Hand S or at least parts of that system that are to all intents and purposes BS.

can we really be expected to do a thorough LOLER weekly?

and if all our saws are well maintained and in good order with all the boxes ticked including the common missing chain catchers do we have to sign off every piece, every saw blower and hedgetrimmer etc etc we own?

when you look after your kit as a matter of routine why should you have to basicaly provide evidence of that, surely anyone can see that writing your name date and "comments" in a thousand plus boxes on a weekly basis will breed contempt?

or am I just moaning about something everyone else is happy doing? i dont think so.:001_huh:

I appreciate the difference between the two industries, just trying to find a comparison from another which has the public's acknowledgement enough to actually carry a punch.

At least I know I'm thinking from the right angle:001_smile:

So the problem really is that no one (or very few) will take much notice of a AAC stamp in domestic business, and smaller companies don't really get a look in when it comes to LA work (already AAC savvy anyway) so for a small company the main gain in work would be from the commercial sector? this is where it would also be easiest to promote the existence of AAC's, which would eventually filter down to joe public, albeit a few years down the line. So maybe a few AA reps travel round building companies, water companies, land management companies etc etc spreading the word of smaller AAC's in their area, does this happen already? is it viable?

Treemeup, THANK YOU for your posts..!

In gardening / horticulture, those 'customers' who are a little more engaged are aware of the 'RHS'. Perhaps the equivalent in the tree world is the FC, maybe this is something we should explore further?

However I think, well it's certainly the case with me, the reason why consumers know about CORGI (Gas Safe) is through 'association', in that every plumbers/gas installerts van you see carries the logo. Society is flooded with those bright oriange triangular stickers on their vehicles and YPs ads. AN equivalent could be to achieve the same, or similar, position with 'ArbAC', but unlike CORGI it would always be voluntary. (I also think the over-riding factor in the domestic sector is 'word-of-mouth' recommendations, understandibly, and provided 'the price is right' the jobs yours...hopefully!)

In relation to your second point 'yes', more particularly since the tie in with CHAS (and hoepfully soon SAFEcontractor), the main gain of 'ArbAC' is in the commercial / LA sector, although not exclusively so. Hopefully, as you say, then filtering down into domestic would be good (just an important point of note here, IF I receive an enquiry about a none 'ArbAC' and whether they are approved I always state the fact they are not does not mean they are not a reputable and competnet business, it just means they haven't joined the voluntary scheme to seek independent accreditation of such!)

We do join forces with HSE, and TReevolution, on their SHADs up and down the country (next one in Southend on 22nd March) to raise client awareness of their responsibilities in enaging competnet arb contractors and what they should look for...and consdering 'ArbACs'. The client groups you mention are all invited along.

However their is still much work to be done here but time and resources are of the essence.

Cheers..

Paul

Cheers..

"

If AAC is mainly to keep insurance claim payments down I'm not in.....

I'm now less interested in becoming AAC, sell it to me, I want to be part of it but I think I need the benefits spelling out!

'Treemeup' re 'quoting lark'...you and me too!

AAC is a process which can (will) improve your business and, potentially, lead to greater success and / or ease some of the burdens and give you well deserved recognitoin. They also check, and reassure you, are working to industry standards, many of whihc are vague and often mis-understood. In so doing it does improve your stance, if challenge, under H&S law and this has been tested on several occasions (anecdotal eveidnce based on many conversation with ArbACs.)

It also has the potentail to 'open new doors', business opportunities, but often you too need to work hard on marketing and promoting thsi one too.

More tangible there are insurance discounts to be had but, again, you often need to 'haggle' for these (although one supplier does offer a furthre 5% discount on premiums to ArbACs.)

In summary 'yes', accreditation can be an a-se covering exercise, BUT actually that is a spin off benefit, business improvement and compliance is the main one.

Hope to speak further sometime soon.

Cheers..

Paul