AA arborists working group

jaime bray

We'll never lose that mentality in society, Why do we go the trade fair? To buy cheaper gear...

AWG is just looking for things to get our teeth into really. The daily grind, With the intention of producing things to enable contractors to operate more effectively, With the topics addressed,

But its a circle, Company managers may want to implement the relevant stuff but do not have the working knowledge of it or the staff dont play ball, So if the employees get chance to air their views then I can give that feed back to AWG, And maybe do something constructive

I agree with you, i try to inform the public on jobs about what we do but its a hard slog sometimes as they just don't want to know

I also find working for a LA hard with so many staff stuck on the old ways

i do think a lot of this will come from US younger generation but its going to take time

I think (but am not sure) we had a bloke here at the LA (who isn't here anymore?) that tried to get the "trust" side of the LA AAAC recognised, but unfortunately i think he failed in his efforts, but again i don't know the full story and its purely speculation!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all,

we're probably among the smaller companies on here, so bare with me.

if someones got info to share that'll make us all safer, more efiicient, and hence more profitable then i'm all for it. (Isn't this what arbtalk does ??)

If all the objective is, is to produce a sticker for our trucks that'll inform an appathetic Joe public that we know what we're doing, why don't the AA promote the NPTC ??

If i know i'll be quoting against the numerous local cowboys i'll produce my certs, and insurance docs, and try to get the client to ask other contractors to show theirs.

AAteccie quotes the new scheme as being a 'mere' £500 +vat (£600) a year.

if you factor in the time it take to get approved the cost would be significantly higher.

I can imagine, for the larger co.s that have dedicated office staff, asking for 3 or 4 hours a week isn't such a big deal.

For the one man bands, 4 hours a week is about half of my free time !! :lol:

At the end of the day, probably 80% of our jobs are won on price. Not what scheme we're in.

As much as we try and educate away from lopping and topping, if thats what the client wants for his trees then so be it. Who are we to TELL a tree owner what they can and can't do to said trees.

Rant over

Thanks

:blushing::blushing:

hi all,

if someones got info to share that'll make us all safer, more efiicient, and hence more profitable then i'm all for it. (Isn't this what arbtalk does ??)

If all the objective is, is to produce a sticker for our trucks that'll inform an appathetic Joe public that we know what we're doing, why don't the AA promote the NPTC ??

If i know i'll be quoting against the numerous local cowboys i'll produce my certs, and insurance docs, and try to get the client to ask other contractors to show theirs.

if you factor in the time it take to get approved the cost would be significantly higher.

I can imagine, for the larger co.s that have dedicated office staff, asking for 3 or 4 hours a week isn't such a big deal.

At the end of the day, probably 80% of our jobs are won on price. Not what scheme we're in.

As much as we try and educate away from lopping and topping, if thats what the client wants for his trees then so be it. Who are we to TELL a tree owner what they can and can't do to said trees.

Rant over

Thanks

DN22 thanks for your post.

The ArbAC scheme isn't just about a badge, although we do have a very nice one available for 'less than £500 a year' (ha!, sorry I know that's still a lot of money and yes preparation and maintenance of the supporting, albeit now much smaller scale, systems is alos a cost but view this as an investment, afterall most of it you should be doing anyway but no-one ever checks).

The scheme is about setting a national benchmark for arb contractors and helping them achieve for the benefit of all, both those who own trees to get the best care and those who assist them...YOU's! NOT to say good acre isn't avaiblae anyway but how does Mrs Miggins choose? (yes, I know, reputation, word of mouth...and price! BUT wouldn't it be good to add national recognition to that list.)

In terms of NPTCs, obvioulsy very importnat, but not the 'be all and end all' as we all know. Interestingly we've occasionally had companies assessed who have all the NPTCs going, and they fail (sorry, get deferred) but equally, in relation to CS41, we often see very competnet rigging operations underatken but no NPTC (we can't, unfortunately, award here until it is obtained.)

RE - 'lopping and topping', hoepfully not too often, and in fact soem decline on principle, but in tough economic times 'work is work' and you need to earn a crust, hence the ArbAC may also undertake this work BUT after fully informing the client of the consequences (and in writing on the quote ideally) AND offering better alterantives, i.e. fell and replace with a more suitable species, as the tree has often outgrown the site.

'ARBTALK' is absoultely key to sharing knowledge and information, and supporting each other, (and thansk to STeve and all you guys for making this so succesful) BUT sometimes this needs to be more formalised, evidenced based and specific to your business and that's why Jaime is seeking your views on what you need so hopefully we can then deliver.

Cheers..

Paul

hi all,

Rant over

Thanks

i would say we have to get out of the mindset that thinks that bigger companys have endless recources

• 3 months later...

POWER TO THE AWG. Here to help raise the bar, we all want to see good quality, we all want to go home safe with all of our fingers and toes, we want a level playing field with high standards "in every department" and we all want recognition for a job well done, especialy from our peers.

Well it can be done and the AWG would like to help you achieve it, wether you want it for yourself as an individual or for your business, help us to help you.

This is NOT an advert for the Arb Association trying to raise membership, this is a group of like minded people brought together by the Arb Association who genuinly care about our industry, some are AAC some are not, but all are involved in trying raise awareness both to the trade "you" and perhaps even to your potential future customers, it wont cost you a penny all we need from you is a few ideas as to want you want us to reserch or even some solutions to an existing query, no idea is a bad idea,,?? well not usualy. Good suggestions will always be welcomed. The AWG is not promising world peace but if you want help and or guidence to improve your game,,"watch this space"