To be...Qualified or not to be...Qualified?

cdf

The wording of sect 191 isn't very helpful really, should is not must.

True but to comply with the Health and Safety at Work act you must do all that is reasonably practical......... Its reasonable to ask someone to get certified. If something went wrong the HSE or courts would probably say the operator should have held the appropriate NPTC certificates.

The legal issue is not complying with the Health and Safety at Work act.

The HASAW act is really about protecting workers rights its not there to try to stop people earning or impose unnecessary red tape. It has changed industry for the better and probably saved many lives.

A small proportion of companies, or individuals will never come close to fully complying.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'Should', in H&S law, is interpeted as 'shall' which in legal terms means MUST!

Not holding NPTC tickets, coz they are the only 'CoC' (certiifctae of competence) awarding body, is in contravention of PUWER 98, the HASWA is the 'Act' they would bosh you with as that contains all the prosecution sections.

Point taken about employing a newbie with all the tickets BUT at leats he is legal and you can mold him in your company wyas and 'good' habits. GOOD expereince does count for everything in this industry and many 'newbies' don't have the benefit of good 'on the job' training and good mentoring, something essential to developing true 'competence' and proficiency.

I view the NPTC tcikets for a newbie as a 'driving licence' equivalent, hence would you expect them to drive you to the job faultlessly = no, the trouble is too often they beleive they can AND seek top dollar for the privilege...hmmm!!!

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers..

Paul

What is it that modern tickets give you that working up the ranks and good supervison dont? I have sat through all these courses only to find myself bumbling through on my own unguided with the misconseption I know it all cause it got the tickets, I was far more dangerous than than I am 10 years on!

one thing that awlays intrests me about this hole ticket or no ticket thing is when u have ur relevant certificate of competencecs cs30/31 what ever u may have. insurance tends to come up quit alot if u dont have ur tickets, now if u do not do ur refresher does this mean ur insurance may not cover u. as i no alot of people that dont or ent done there refresher, as they pasted there nptc competence test and say they dont need to do a refresher

when i did my fork lift test if i did not do the refresher i was not alowed to use the fork lift due to insurance

one thing that awlays intrests me about this hole ticket or no ticket thing is when u have ur relevant certificate of competencecs cs30/31 what ever u may have. insurance tends to come up quit alot if u dont have ur tickets, now if u do not do ur refresher does this mean ur insurance may not cover u. as i no alot of people that dont or ent done there refresher, as they pasted there nptc competence test and say they dont need to do a refresher

when i did my fork lift test if i did not do the refresher i was not alowed to use the fork lift due to insurance

Fork lift tickets have an expiry date on them. (well my did 20+years ago)

This has been brought up a lot in the past and as yet no one has come up with a documented example of insurance being invalid due to lack of refresher training.

I still recall talking to someone on the phone at lantra head office to ask why the expiry dates had been removed from my newly updated card, only to be told that it is to avoid confusion for the end user. He said refreshing was a recommendation not a requirement, that the tickets last for life and so the dates were removed to stop folks getting all wound up over it.

I'm assuming this is still the case.

The recommendation as I understand it, is to undertake 'some form' of refresher training every 3 to 5 years... To my mind if I added an additional cs unit or refreshed one of the 'higher' ones within that time I'd have refreshed my skills