Where does your loyalty lie?

Tom D

Wher does your loyalty lie?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Wher does your loyalty lie?

• the tree
    • the client

@ stephenblair:

I never said anything about the customers being uneducated. Some of the people I work for live in million pound houses and have made much money using their intelligence, others are retired OAP's with a lifetimes worth of knowledge and wisdom behind them. However, when it comes to trees and looking after them, they are more often than not fairly ignorant and uneducated in terms of the best pratices of tree work and on how trees as organsims live and die.

If I come accross a dangerous tree that needs to come out for the safety reasons, I am not so ignorant and naive to turn a blind eye and advise otherwise. But I will fight the corner of a tree when a customer wants it topped, felled or generally hacked to pieces where a thin, reduction or any other number of possibilties would be better for the customer and the tree!

If you think myself, or any other person who lives in the modern age, yet at the same time can understand and appreciate sustainability and living in harmony with our planet as best we can in modern circumstances is a hypocrite, then your just another one of the narrow minded and ignorant modern humans who thinks the world is there for their sole use and exploitation. The greatest gift we humans have been granted over every other organism on this planet, is that we ourselves have the ability to care for others and at least try to look after those plants and animals that are unable to do so themselves.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name=Spartan1987;441806

If you think myself' date=' or any other person who lives in the modern age, yet at the same time can understand and appreciate sustainability and living in harmony with our planet as best we can in modern circumstances is a hypocrite, then your just another one of the narrow minded and ignorant modern humans who thinks the world is there for their sole use and exploitation. The greatest gift we humans have been granted over every other organism on this planet, is that we ourselves have the ability to care for others and at least try to look after those plants and animals that are unable to do so themselves.[/quote]

i take it you are 24 ish and your real name has something to do with Spartan?

A lot of this implies that the client is contacting us for advice.

My clients contacted me because they wanted their tree gone.

It generally went.

On the few occasions that advise was asked, I didnt give it, as it was not my place.

A lot of this implies that the client is contacting us for advice.

My clients contacted me because they wanted their tree gone.

It generally went.

On the few occasions that advise was asked, I didnt give it, as it was not my place.

well said Bolt, thats pretty much the same as the way i work. They have made up their mind before i get there. I usually get asked, if that fell over will it hit my house? Keep it simple:001_smile:

well said Bolt, thats pretty much the same as the way i work. They have made up their mind before i get there. I usually get asked, if that fell over will it hit my house? Keep it simple:001_smile:

The client is smarter than we give them credit for.

They have more sense than to ask in the first place.

I heard of a tree cutter once that asked the question "opinions please on a large beech" to a load of Arbs on an internet forum.........

it went on for days :lol:

Tony you have built an image of us guys as money grabbing, con men who just want to cut down trees and tell lies to make endless piles of cash!

Thats out of order, you are sitting in a house, where there were once trees, you are on a computer, which is a luxury, you have electricity, you will have a car that pollutes the atmosphere, get off your high horse mate, make some real money, pay for your course and move in the direction you want to.

You think a certain way now, which is fair enough BUT if what you think is what we should all be doing, why arent we, why has nobody called you up and said WOW! your thoughts are awesome, come and work for me and lets change the world. :001_rolleyes:

No one is going to come knocking on your door, if you want to walk about the woods, teaching others about stuff, then put a poster up in your local shop, charge £10 a head and go for it. If you know as much as you say you do, then have the confidence in yourself mate.:

No stephen, what i said was that it was a sad state of affairs that no one in your equation had ANY remorse, which you firmly believe you should not have.

Stephen, I am not trying to make anyone look bad, im turning this tide, one man at a time. I was a lot like you once, so yes I am a hypocrit to you, i drive a car blah blah, but I walk away from jobs like yours, a lot.:001_cool:

sorry you took offence, you know I have a soft spot for you:blushing: I dont hold that tree against YOU, but you knew that. Im just trying to ensure that the younger lads get a true and complete understanding of these things, and to THINK about thier role, their work, and their attitude to a role that is as close to the front line between man and his environment as it is possible to be.

I struggled a bit with this programme.

Of course I am very lucky where I have been born and do appreciate all the chances that have afforded me, but really...

You live in a shanty town, in a hut, with no room to swing a cat around, your flat broke, can't afford food or medicine. What on earth goes through your mind to bring 9 children into the world and think it's a good idea and won't bring suffering and heart ache as you watch your children die.

I would like more than the two children I have but can't afford more so quite logically have decided to stop. Common sense is free in life.

Regardless I will give to CR but until people use some sense and the corruption stops in these countries then you money in the grand scheme of things is being wasted. A harsh but IMO true statement.

Do your children make you happy and fill your life with joy? think about it.

i think it is very nieve to think every customer who wants a tree removed is un educated. I have been to jobs and removed trees that have fallen through houses, cars, kids play parks, conservatories luckily no one was hurt but all were VERY close, you have to be brought up on the moon not to know trees are good for the environment, but as long as you go to your work in a vehicle, walk on tarmac and concrete and purchase food and clothes from shops then you are a hypocrite:001_rolleyes:

Can you not see that you are part of this views perpetuation? Your a professional tree fella, its YOUR job to know better, am I wrong?

Listen stevie, 7-8 people a year die from trees, think about it.

The first settilers manage our tree stock because that soon realised that they had to go father to get fuel. The romans food for the army then came boat making timber framed houses and the industral reverlution and trees cut to make steal. We still have one of the best stock of old woodlands we build roads and cities and manage the trees in and around them life goes on

but at what point will mans numbers see the balance switch?

Tony, no offence taken here and i know you do not take any either lol, i do struggle to see any middle ground, that i understand about myself.:001_rolleyes:

I do what ever i have to do 110%, if i was going to be an echo warrior i would live in the woods, eat off the land and never get in a vehicle as that would be against everything i would believe BUT i am not, i am a tree cutter so i do that 110%, if people want me to cut down their trees i will, if they feel what i say goes and you guys don't, then it is up to someone else to build their reputation as a consultant in my area and take that work.

That is the diference between cutters and consultants, we do stuff, they talk about stuff. People like action:thumbup:

Do your children make you happy and fill your life with joy? think about it.

Of course but 3 would cause me concern about costs and 9 would send me to an early grave with worry, or rather them as I couldn't afford to keep them. At least in this country we have the cushion of social services, in Africa it means death.

That's just irresponsible in my books, but maybe for another thread as it's way off topic.

Of course but 3 would cause me concern about costs and 9 would send me to an early grave with worry, or rather them as I couldn't afford to keep them. At least in this country we have the cushion of social services, in Africa it means death.

That's just irresponsible in my books, but maybe for another thread as it's way off topic.

irresposible, or living in a world that will see 60% die before adolescence?

have two, lose all, have nine 1-2 will stand