am i being pessimistic?

john p

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then we're sure to see the plywood removed from "arb" trucks and the cages reinstated!!!

scraps been up for the past few years!!i have to dis agree with you slightly,i think its not just cowboys on the increase but legit firms/qualified arborists.its a great job which is why so many want to do it.(i will try and remember that next time im topping conifers in the pouring rain)

I seem to notice more people who are asset rich (ie house plus land all paid for) coming in to tree work or firewood from other higher paying careers. Also, it seems that more people do trees, logs etc. as weekend sidelines than they used to. All of these sorts of people seem to work for buttons.

look to be honest about this and as an outsider looking in at your buissenes (arborists) some and i mean some of the profession may be over chargeing! i know i will be dragged over the coals about this but , i give you an example, a friend of mine phoned up a tree surgeon to come and have a look at his garden at some work to be done , he had a conifer hedge about 5meters long x 3 high a small cherry that wanted 3 branches taken off and a 7 meter spruce to be took down , now he quoted £300 for a mornings work and £200 for an afternoon he said it would take 2 days now this guy is a very good surgeon a true pro but surely unjustified to be asking this sort of money, i know he has insurence to cover public liability to cover and thats the hidden money that the general public dont take into consideration .

then we're sure to see the plywood removed from "arb" trucks and the cages reinstated!!!

The problem is the firms who have worked hard to build a base up have to compete with the cash in hand and flytip waste on illegal sites people:thumbdown::thumbdown:

In addition as the downturn bites more places are providing courses in tree work without thinking where the folks will be employed full time when leaving.

How many firms have a wife/girlfriend/ work outside with them earning an income these times? Not common I am sure.

without seeing the job i could not coment on this situation . the problem with the industry is that there are some that think tey should be able to charge a fortune for what they do decause its "dangerous" and they have to try and over charge in able to afford their current lifestyle, then there is the other end of the scale where un insured/ qualified people are charging a pittiful amount , along side this you have the people starting out that thing quoting cheeply will get them loads of work and get there nme out there . This leaves a select few in the middle that find it hard to compete BUT its this few that if they stick at it they will be sucessful in the long run . its not easy to see when times are hard like they are now but now is the time to put all the hard work in and see your efforts pay off as the others are going bust