Insurance

Ian150482

You could break down the costs. Your insurance is £630. To insure sub contractors £1575 an extra £945.

Divide this by the number of weeks worked to het a weekly cost the divide by number os subies.

All you then have to do is deduct the insurance from the sub contractors invoice. Depending on how many subies you have it could be expensive for the subie!:thumbdown:

I'm not sure of the legalities of stopping monies from that which is due, the law can be a minefield. Mind you I suppose you could counter-invoice for the costs!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would a counter invoice incur VAT?

Hmmmm dunno that one, but then if you're vat reg, then surely that is passed on....... perhaps that would be incentive enough for the person to take out his own policy and ensure its upkeep. Oh what a complex world it is

good thread - as a former insurance bloke, until I saw the light got into Arb I have one simple rule - Public Liability is for anyone but the insured to receive benefit from(but not employees if they suffer loss or damage). In effect I have Public Liability (PL)for any risk caused by my activities (again with Trust who are very very good) I then use "bona-fidae" subcontractors with there own PL policies. As long as the principal on the job is employing the "staff" and they have Employers Liability it is OK.

If you use subbies alot then I reckon its got to be the safest bet and have them covered then as Steve says work it into the cost of your work like everything else.

It only takes one mistake by an uninsured subbie and you could well be in the S*** especially this day and age "where theres blame theres a claim" :thumbdown:

As subcontractors, why should they not have PLI of their own???? This is the whole thing about it, they want the money for being subbies w/o the risk. If they dont want to be true subbies, then they should be on the books and pay the full tax rate and full NI rate.

I did subbie to a couple of other firms but there was no way I was going to use my PLI if something goes wrong.

I didnt get a bonus if the job went sound so theres no chance im gonna pay out if i damage a fence panel,flag or something more expensive. Needless to say I never damaged anything and never got any bonus's either.