what certificate is needed for a self emplyoed tree surgeon?

parkeey

if it's something your interested in, then do it

but there are ways and means of doing it properly thats all, yeh sure it might be a hard slog, you might be out of pocket for a while, but i can say its the best job i've ever done, 5 years in and i'm still learning now, its a learning curve for everyone till they stop, nothing is ever the same

but as i said before having basic certs does not make someone qualified

it is better to make an informed decision than a blind one because its something you fancy doing

i am just one opinion, others may be different:thumbup:

if it's something your interested in, then do it

but there are ways and means of doing it properly thats all, yeh sure it might be a hard slog, you might be out of pocket for a while, but i can say its the best job i've ever done, 5 years in and i'm still learning now, its a learning curve for everyone till they stop, nothing is ever the same

but as i said before having basic certs does not make someone qualified

it is better to make an informed decision than a blind one because its something you fancy doing

i am just one opinion, others may be different:thumbup:

I certainly agree here, i too started around 5yrs ago, and consider myself just starting out. For the past 2yrs i've been working with an arborist who's got 20yrs in the industry and there's still loads more that he wants to learn, and his Quals are loads CS30,31,32,34,38,39,40,41,42,44,RFS Cert Arb, AA Tech Cert, to name a few, and i think he's got a degree or to in Arb/Forestry as well, so you can see from this, you can do just the basics or learn and learn and learn

Do your gardening customers ever ask you about trees? Am guessing they do hence why your considering getting into tree work. If I was you I would get a local tree surgeon (you will probably find one here) and pass the work onto them in exchange for getting experience from them.

As said basic nptc but also look for l2 arb or provable knowledge of trees and common sense. If your busy full time with gardening then keep with what you know and work out a deal with local tree surgeon you trust and can depend on as it will be your reputation.

You can find yourself out of your depth pretty quickly. Usually when you are up a tree and the client is watching you. Do you take a chance or do you come down and admit you can't do it?

Get your tickets and then see if you can get a job grounding for a good climber for a few months. Have worked for someone who went about it the way you are proposing and I learnt more in 6 months working for a lad with 20+ years experience than my old boss knows today after 5 years of trying to figure it out for himself.

RobArb is quite right....... others opinions my be different ;-)

Being qualified is exactly what having basic certs does make you.

Basic certificates are basic qualifications

Of course you are not 'fully qualified', but than who is?

Only people who perform the most basic of tasks, using the most basic of tools stand a chance of ever being fully qualified.

Full qualifications are not possible for tree surgery.

You can be competent though (in the legal definition), but for that you need adequate training, experiance and motivation.