milling roof shingles from pine using alaskan

offgridchris

ive been busy milling the timber for our green timber extension, using an alaskan. ive nearly finished and im now thinking about the roof. i want wood shingles/shakes. the problems is i dont want to buy them. has anybody sawn their own using an alaskan. i know half will be lost in cutting. producing the taper? can you fit a small narrow ripping chain on my ms880?

also as the title mentions i want to use pine as that's what ive got plenty of. so to preserve them i was thinking to charring them or linseed oil? the roof pitch is 50 degrees which helps and i plan to leave a large space under the shingles for good air flow. the problem is we live in wales, so plenty of rain.

thanks in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be intrested in this thread have plans to built log stores roofed with shingles have seen sweet chestnut oak and of course cedar but never pines what pine was you thinking of using some thing more resinus might be ok

Pine has been used for roof shingles in Sweden during most of the 1800's

But in my opinion the shingles should not be sawn, but rather split using a froe (see attached image), to avoid severing fibres and leaving a rough surface for fungus etc to bind to. Split shingles last longer than cut/milled equivalents.

When using the froe, you should alternate between cutting from top and bottom since the shingles will tend to split in such a way that the bottom part is thinner than the top (initial) thickness.

See this article for more information Preservation Brief 19: The Repair and Replacement of Historic Wooden Shingle Roofs

froe.jpg.75f17744a1c5d1c92b25fd74bc5e9357.jpg

i would love to use all these durable timbers, but i want to use what ive got. the Leylandii looks the best but would have to be sawn because of the knots. has anybody used it as a timber? also any ideas on sawing with a chainsaw mill. cleaving with a froe would be my preferred method but again it has to be the right timber.