Axes

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

Mmmm Next you will be after a longboat, a hard hat with horns on it and a big beard

this forum is entitled chainsaw....its all in the name you know:001_tt2:

Just joking around:thumbup:

Spud

PS - do you want the axe ported or tuned up!!

Working on the wooden boat at present with someone I know in Arendal Noreg:thumbup: I know not a chainsaw but not sure where else to place info and would be used with a saw:001_rolleyes:

Need one that has a good edge and stays sharp. Thanks for all the helpful info. Throwing them looks like fun.

• 2 months later...

I've just spent the afternoon hand sharpening two old axes one a Brades 4 1/2 lb and the other an Elwell 1 3/4lb. I found it a most satisfying experience to bring these previously chipped and neglected tools back to their former glory. I do like an edge you can shave with:sneaky2:

Also immensely satisfying to swipe through 2" thick branches with the Elwell effortlessly, I think these two will make a great start to the arsenal for greenwood working tools already being expanded by Cracker who is kindly making me a froe and drawknife! :thumbup:

I've just spent the afternoon hand sharpening two old axes one a Brades 4 1/2 lb and the other an Elwell 1 3/4lb. I found it a most satisfying experience to bring these previously chipped and neglected tools back to their former glory. I do like an edge you can shave with:sneaky2:

Also immensely satisfying to swipe through 2" thick branches with the Elwell effortlessly, I think these two will make a great start to the arsenal for greenwood working tools already being expanded by Cracker who is kindly making me a froe and drawknife! :thumbup:

I'm with you there, I have say 50 edged tools, Plus 3 elwell '7'. I don't just sharpen then I 'tune' them for different jobs. With buying old edged tools, they are best just blunt as it sharpened in recent times they may be softened up by a misused grinder.

I have all types of edges from solid cast steel, wrap on forgewelded edges ( can wear out, and forge welded sandwiched heads + a few swedish. It takes say 4+ hours to sharpen, from careful grinding ( with plenty of cooling water) to different oilstones.

I do engineering plus used to do butchering which helps, with the old saying," if you can see the edge - it's blunt".

One point, many of the older axes are now age hardened, I have heard of old axemen putting a new axe in a hedge for a couple of years to harden the head a bit more before using it.

Pity you live so far away:thumbup1: