Climate Change - Man made or not?

Is climate change man made or not?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is climate change man made or not?

• Climate Change - Man made?
    • Climate Change - Natural event?
    • Positive effect on trees in the UK?
    • Negative effect on trees in the UK?

Hello guys,

I am curious to know what is the general opinion of us arborist about climate change!

I think its difficult to argue about wether its happening or not, most defenetly it as changed, its hotter winters are alot less colder than they use to be. But what really interests me is it man made or not?

So the poll is: climate change man made? Or is climate change a natural thing? What do you think?

Theres so much talk about it now days that people just follow what they hear on the TV and media. I have thought about this and because im no expert its very difficult to have proper arguements on the subject, however I think that theres little prove to suggest that its really man made. And a lot of it is paranoia and fear that goverments and organisations that benefit from all this propaganda put in people. Fear is a great tool to make people accept things that are not absolutly proven.

Im not saying that one should ignore it but I have serious doubts about wether its man the responsible one.

Im the type of person that realizes that the way we live is completly unsustanable and that something as to give in, its not gonna continue like this for much longer. Im against people owning big cars if they dont need them. We all should be much more aware of how important our limited resources are. Save water, electricity, petrol, recycle alot more, not buying things that are over packed and that can be recycled.

To be aware of what one eats and where it comes from, why buy apples from south africa when england as plenty of them and things like this... Why wash your car every week

I probably sound like someone who really believes man is responsible for climate change but Im not theres no real proof that I've seen. But i do believe that we could do alot better saveing resources. Now makeing this a bit more relevant to us arborist, is it gonna be bad to have olive trees and cork oaks growing happy in the UK? Negative consequences like what I read about beach trees would really suffer if tempertures would rise significantly. I dont completly understand this because I know beach tree grow in Portugal but maybe these ones wouldn't manage to cope with the sudden change!

But like everything evolution would have its way eventually I think, we could lose lots of tree but things would slowly balance out.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the planet has heated and cooled time and time again....way before we started polluting the atmosphere.

Quite true but it does'nt mean we're not contributing to it now.

One interesting fact regarding sustainable fuels; in one year we burn 300 years worth of fossil fuels: ie it took 300 years to lay down one years worth of oil and coal. When you consider this it does put biofuels into context, even if we put all the available land into biofuels production we'd not come close to meeting our energy needs. The fact is we'll keep burning oil and coal untill theres none left, what this will do to the climate is open to debate but trying to avoid burning fossil fuels is pointless, if we don't the chinese will.

Quite true but it does'nt mean we're not contributing to it now.

One interesting fact regarding sustainable fuels; in one year we burn 300 years worth of fossil fuels: ie it took 300 years to lay down one years worth of oil and coal. When you consider this it does put biofuels into context, even if we put all the available land into biofuels production we'd not come close to meeting our energy needs. The fact is we'll keep burning oil and coal untill theres none left, what this will do to the climate is open to debate but trying to avoid burning fossil fuels is pointless, if we don't the chinese will.

Hi tom,

Interesting fact that, just to show how dependent we are to fossil fuels! The day is comeing when the last oil well is dried up, whats gonna happen then all the machines that run on oil, most cars in the world run on oil based fuel it really gives me the creeps to think about this time.

T

Hi tom,

The day is comeing when the last oil well is dried up, whats gonna happen then all the machines that run on oil, most cars in the world run on oil based fuel it really gives me the creeps to think about this time.

T

That day ia about 3- 400 years from now assuming we continue to consume at our curent rate.