Climate Change - Man made or not?

Is climate change man made or not?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is climate change man made or not?

• Climate Change - Man made?
    • Climate Change - Natural event?
    • Positive effect on trees in the UK?
    • Negative effect on trees in the UK?

The human condition of not being able to see into the future is a scary one for sure. The trick i think is to deal with what you have now, & deal with the actions you impose on the things you have control over at the time you can maybe influance even in a small way.

I do think that our changing climate is a prosses that has gone on & will still do so for many more cycles in the earths life.

However I also think our actions of climate manipulatinon with our activatys on her are speeding up a prosses that may have taken a longer time to play out for what ever resson the planet needs to change for time to time (maybe a bit like taking a bath for us).

We may not be able to comprehend this but we can clean up our act & behave in a more symbiotic manor at the very least!

The system most of us live in is based on the gaining of the £ & yes we are going to be taxed to the max under the guise of 'saving the planet'!

I have no prob with bing ****** over even more than I am already under the current system as the changes brought about may make alot of people apriciate what we have. They would only find another way of doing it if it wasn't this one.

I'm sure most people on this site care about their enviroment & will be inovating new planting stratergys & management tecs befor the so called enviroment(pollatitions) experts have spoon fed us the best way to do it!

As long as I can go to sleep most nights with the knolage that how I have done or thought about better ways to co exist on this living thing we live on then I am ok with it.

Now exuse me while I go & puke ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The history behind natural climate change shows us that approxiately every 28'000 years the planet has moved on its axis, tilting the opposite hemisphere towards the sun. (not overnight obviously) This is natural climate change.

Human exploitation of fossil fuels release emmissions at an unnatural rate. This causes an inbalance in whats known as radiative forcing, which is the rate at which longwave infra red energy leaves our amoshpere. This is causing a rise in temperature and the associated problems with that rise. This is un-natural climate change.

Because we are approximately half way through our 28'000 year cycle, there is no movement on earths axis and no change in the shape of our orbit around the sun. The climatic issues some countries are facing is due to emmissions from 150 years of the developing nations industrial revolution and intense food production.

Simples.

I havent polled because those who think it is just a natural occurance have their heads well and truly in the sand.

Dont just go by the media (= story or scare mongering) / governments (= targets, carbon trading, money, votes). You gotta do the reading from those who know.

I personally have voted to say that climate change is a man made thing, although i do know that the earths climate has changed many times over millions of year.

I have voted this way because i think that mankind has sped up the process to a rate that many living things cannot cope with. if the climate was to change at the rate that it would naturally happen then many of the organisms on earth could adapt.

As it is at the monment many organisms cannot adapt and so they are just dieing out.

We (Humans) are by far NOT the smartest living things on the planet, it just so happens that we are capable of make things and adapt to many different curcumstances. We (Humans) kill off numorous species of organisms all the time just because of the way that we use and abuse the earth and everything that it contains.

As to whether this will be possitive or negative for the trees of the UK, we will not truely know this until the time comes around. what is expected though is for much of the world to move more towards desert and the UK and other places to get colder, this is because as the ice sheets melt the amount to fresh water going into the golf stream increases, this in turn will cause the golf stream to stop. the golf stream stopping will mean that all the heat that is brought over from that part of the earth will no longer be brought over causing the UK to get colder.

what is also possibly expected is that we may find it hard for us to grow some fruit, like apple for example. This would be because of unexpected late frosts killing the blossom. This could become a bad problem in the future, not being able to grow some of the most basic fruit.

Hmmm, Ithink it is a natural state of Earth and the Universe to continually change, just as we have to ( things would get a bit boring if they/we didn't), the thing is that we are accelerating it, warming, at such a pace that we have a limited time to try and balance it, so try, if we can regulate our emissions we may have longer to sort out the future power situation. We can turn this around by using natural power in our homes and little things like turning off the computer, not stand by.

Check out 'Good Energy'

I see there’s a lot of debate here, when I first looked I wondered why we couldn’t multiply our answers, in my answer I would tick all as I believe mainly natural is to blame (btw were still coming out of an ice age (not the film lol)) but the time is accelerated by humans and yes it will have a negative effect on native British trees but what about introducing other species to our lands to accommodate the change. We will never be able to stop or slow this now so we should do what we can to accommodate it and except that nature can wipe us out in an instance if it feels necessary to its survival.

Finally, It took the UK 150 years to come out of the type of industrial revolution that we are expecting China to come out of in 10 years and we as a nation have been constantly introducing non native species to out lands since the Roman times and (minus the chavs) we have done pretty well as a nation and have some of the most dramatic scenery the world has to offer so why not instead of fighting the change except it and embrace it as we always have.

NB my apologies for poor spelling, ranting and miss representation of facts with my own opinion as with all my writings I end with E&OE

I'm more worried about over population of the earth than I am about climate change.

I for one... wont be having children, "if you want to do something for future generations dont have them"

Yeah, Earth is overpopulated and kids should be limited to One per household just like the dirty polluters in China, yin/yan in harmony!

Overpopulation is surely the key to why most things are "changing" and your choice to not have kids is commendable (and financially sound!). So how do we tell everyone on earth "to stop breeding or there will be no Earth to live on" We don't, we just dump Earth and go live on another planet that has a nice tinge of red throughout its landscape. There are so many factors involved that I think my head is about to EXPLO..............:burnout:

I'm more worried about over population of the earth than I am about climate change.

I for one... wont be having children, "if you want to do something for future generations dont have them"

Good for you. Now all you have to do is convince the worlds leading religions that the way to ensure the survival of mankind is NOT to indulge in a population arms race in the battle for souls.:thumbdown:

Best of luck with that...

Population is the driving force behind a lot of the worlds problems. Mostly intensive agriculture and global deforestation.

Why has the UK governement given such massive benefits and tax reliefs for expanding, unemployed families who require large, unsustainable housing developments?

Whats the answer? Tax relief for sustainable families.