Tinnitus - do you suffer from this???

button1803

Tinnitus

A subjective noise in the ear or head: buzzing, hissing, humming, ringing or whistling, generated inside the body rather than externally.

You've had your last drink of the night (milky coffee is my preferred choice), the TV has been turned off. Teeth brushed, you slip under the duvet and snuggle into the warmth of your bed. Your head hits the pillow and you wait for sleep to envelop you - but no!! In the silence of your room it starts… the nightly high pitched hiss, similar to high pressure gas escaping.

Seven million people in the UK, at one time or another will experience this. Constant buzzing, hissing, whistling, booming sounds in one or both ears, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

A 2007 study carried out by The Royal National Institute for Deaf People (RNID) found that 1 in 7 people in the UK have experienced tinnitus. To help raise awareness and understanding, the British Tinnitus Association (BTA) is running a week long campaign this month, 4th - 10th February. What better time, therefore, than to write about this rarely spoken about common condition.

What causes tinnitus?

Tinnitus can occur at any age, although it is most common in older people. It can be associated with any abnormal condition of the ear and is often linked to hearing loss, particularly related to ageing (presbyacusis). There are a number of factors listed below, thought to increase the chances of getting tinnitus, although it remains a condition that is still not fully understood or curable:

· prolonged exposure to noise

· hearing loss

· presence of ear wax

· stress

· ear infections

Other factors include: ear or head injuries, disease of the inner ear, overactive thyroid gland, anaemia, Ménière's disease and side effects of certain medications. Or a combination or any of the above.

Remedies

With a number of possible causes, tinnitus needs to be considered on an individual basis. Usually the first point of contact is to see your GP. Underlying medical conditions that cause tinnitus can be identified and treated, such as removal of excessive ear wax.

For those where a specific cause isn’t found, management of the tinnitus becomes the priority. Techniques include: relaxation, sound therapy, cognitive-behavioural therapy, use of hearing aids, tinnitus maskers and counselling.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the time...from a slight whine, to total deafness at times, and an inability to hear what people are saying if there is any background noise, such as traffic hum , or an electric cement mixer for example. Sometimes its a high pitched whine, sometimes it sounds like distant lorries passing.

Years of dj-ing at raves in my youth, one night in particular.

suffered with it for years after working in a wood mill when younger. Sometimes it goes other times it sounds like feedback from a speaker. It sounds almost deafening at times although the sufferer is the only one to hear it.

Do you find it's worse when you're tired? That's when I get it - at the end of a long day - but I can't say it's severe tbh. I do have some loss of hearing (age, genetic, no protection from farm machinery noise late 70s/early 80s) and know exactly the 'can't pick out conversation from the background' scenario. Restaurants, parties etc. are a struggle.

Jon

Do you find it's worse when you're tired? That's when I get it - at the end of a long day - but I can't say it's severe tbh. I do have some loss of hearing (age, genetic, no protection from farm machinery noise late 70s/early 80s) and know exactly the 'can't pick out conversation from the background' scenario. Restaurants, parties etc. are a struggle.

Jon

every night mate im 99.9% garanteed to hear Constant buzzing, hissing, whistling!

then some days its fine... but got it now while typing this!