V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, Ganos, depending on species and climate may not be a problem at all.....certain tree species in differing climates can certainly outgrow a Gano infection.....Species and environment as well as location on the subject is necessary to determine outcome!

Indeed, some trees under some conditions may well outpace the Ganoderma sp in very much a species specific way, Oak for example in Southeast england and even wales I know cope well with Ganoderma australe and applanatum, less well with G. resinaceum however.

I will see if I can get a freind to allow me to share the finest example of the Oaks interaction with the two former ganos, a remarkable adaption.:001_cool:

[ATTACH]139490[/ATTACH][ATTACH]139491[/ATTACH]

I came across this semi-mature ash yesterday. It has cavities and vertical cracks up through the east and west sides, extending at least 10cm into the crown. No evidence of fruiting bodies currently, but clearly some fungal pathogen(s) have been feasting over recent years. Possibly bacterial canker + Nectria sp.?

There are a number of small dead limbs in the crown, but superficially the rest of the canopy and foliage appears healthy.

I did not see the tree prior to the storm on Monday, but there is no evidence of fresh cracks in the stem or buckling.

The tree is right next to an office building and overhangs power lines on the east and south sides, so the question is - does it need to be removed, or is there a case for retention and regular inspection?

Thanks in advance for your comments

Good Morning,

I am new here and not savvy on opening threads and chat and all that. So hope I do not get blasted by posting here. I have asked a few locals and they all are not sure, but will gladly come out and charge thousands..ha, ha. What is this and can I save my tree. I have lost one already, hoping not an epidemic. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Also am I wrong in saying this is a Laurel Oak ?? I am in Florida on the West coast just north of Tamps.CAM02314.jpgCAM02310.jpgCAM02295.jpgCAM02293.jpg these are the one I lost seems to get a mold. The one I am worried about is starting with these

lil burrough holes ??? sawdust left behind by these lil ??? More photos of the leaves to identify

:confused1: Again...any help to save my tree's would be really appreciated.

Yes it looks like a laurel oak. The bugs are only scavenging wood that is already dead. Most of your trees' problems are underground. The rootzone looks barren and compacted. The black streaks are an infection from the soil.

No local arborists? You do know this is a UK forum, right?

Edited by treeseer

CAM02306.jpg lil burrough holes ???CAM02301.jpg sawdust left behind by these lil ??? More photos of the leaves to identify CAM02318.jpgCAM02317.jpg

:confused1: Again...any help to save my tree's would be really appreciated.

looks to me like a combination of bacterial wetwood, armillaria attack and lots of frass from boring insects. All will be related to soil compaction and other soil born issues making the rooting environment poor for healthy growth, weakening the tree to a downward spiral of increasingly diverse and increasingly detrimental organisms