V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grrr i always overlook that! i just see brackets and think fung! need to tune my mind!

on beech wound at height would make me think towards a. fissilis?

and that would be white wouldnt it?

you follow good lines of hthought but the colouration of these and thier clustered nature make them an instant Ident.:001_rolleyes:

and that would be white wouldnt it?

you follow good lines of hthought but the colouration of these and thier clustered nature make them an instant Ident.:001_rolleyes:

i thought that because they were desiccated it would be a different colour, im going off the top of my head for what i think.

I now remember that a. fissilis is single after seeing the examples i have, but because ive not seen i. cuticularis in the flesh so that thought doesnt spring to mind!

i thought that because they were desiccated it would be a different colour, im going off the top of my head for what i think.

I now remember that a. fissilis is single after seeing the examples i have, but because ive not seen i. cuticularis in the flesh so that thought doesnt spring to mind!

Im just making this stick in your head rob! youll not forget them next time, youll see!:thumbup1:

sean is on the money:thumbup:

Hama,

Is this a compression fork or a tension fork? co dominant stem with included bark= compresion fork, though I didnt look from above and it does look like it could have the cup formation rather than included bark and therfore be a tension fork

Looks like a tension fork with Chinese moustache. Your probably right, it most likely has the cup form of union.

Are there any concerns with the integrity of this particular union? can you not see it is active and splitting?

What tells it apart? The angle and the seem being inward not outward?

co dom stems in close grown forest stands tend to be 20degrees and more acute open grown tension forks much wider in gape.

Please excuse my ignorance and haste with these foolish questions.:001_rolleyes:

I am really trying to get the technicalities of these symptoms sorted in my mind.I decided to read or re-read the chatty tree thread, it's a great learning resource.

As you know, I am currently in possession of the Updated VTA handbook, another great resource. The prompt for the question comes from the book, I suppose.

Mattheck's description of the "outwardly arched welding seam" of the Chinese moustache led me to question whether the "active" fault was indeed that, or instead the long seam of the moustache. Gut instinct is definitely telling me there is something wrong there, no doubt about it.

If it is a tension fork with no included bark, active and failing as it appears to be, what is the correct term for that, or is it just a crack? Just tell me to shut up if you want.:blushing:

The concept of the poorly formed or weak union becoming "active" is new thinking, or terminology at least, to me.

If a compression fork is observed regularly enough, is it likely that the "activation" of the crack or split will be seen before it fails?

Perhaps this is entirely dependent on wind loading.

Is there any way to predict the failure of these formations?

Does an active split mean impending doom?

With targets(shall we say a moderately used B road) present, would you consider a reduction to alleviate stress on an active fork?

Cheers.