V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

Could'nt not post this picture of the last day of the feature Beech tree on the 18 hole on the West at Wentworth. It had stoppped putting its foliage out a few years back and rather large dead limbs started dropping, so it was time to go.. The interresting point is that it had an included bark union (compression fork) between the twin stems as it used to be part of a small grouping of Beech trees in that area, but never failed in it's "living" life... feel sorry for the poor sod having to live with ears that big :001_tt2:

the tree had a fairly large sized Ganoderma spp. bracket at ground level between butress root and had a hollow cavity that reached 3 meters up the stem!

gareth-jones-albums-tree-stuff-picture5027-big-dead-beech-ears.jpg

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi gareth, I'd suggest looking at the Fistulina hepatica thread in fungi pictures, and a member called Fungus has an album on his profile I think. Also check Hamadryads bookclub, vta handbook- or visit treesource and buy a copy, it'll be money well spent! :thumbup:

i see.. so it could be incremental growth as a result of the progression of decay... well thats last the last time i assume a white rot when looking at what appears to be fibre buckling on an oak!

hey guys my names Gareth. This thread is great! i'm currently studying the RFS Certificate in arboriculture at Merrist Wood College and body language of trees is right up my street.

Managed to sort my mobile out and link it with my computer so i can finally make a contribtion instead of leaching off all your knowledge!

Is this "Fibre Buckling" i saw today? caused by a possible white rot?

gareth-jones-albums-tree-stuff-picture5024-fibre-buckling-oak-c-u.jpg

gareth-jones-albums-tree-stuff-picture5025-fibre-buckling-oak.jpg

theres a lot going on in that little oak, some of those bilges are old stub ends long occulded, others are certainly buckles, now then....

buckles are not only associated with rot, nor white rot only, brown rot of the core makes for a tubular structure prone to buckle stresses.

nice one.. it makes more sense now, like 'shell buckling' in Claus Matthecks body language of trees? cheers for taking the time to post!

so this could well be a similar thing?

gareth-jones-albums-tree-stuff-picture5028-fistulina-hepatica-oak.jpg

any takers on this?

gareth-jones-albums-tree-stuff-picture5029-a.jpg

your first is a typical reaction to fistulina, but thats not to say that this is.

second is where a branch once crossed and fused, then died (shading) decayed away leaving the deformations that once formed the growth around the rubbing branch from another tree.

... or to local brown rot of the heartwood caused by Laetiporus sulphureus, which is often associated with horizontal cracks in the by the column weight outward pushed annual sapwood rings and bark.

and suspect gerrit is most likely right in this case, im a little bit fistlina biassed I see lately!

time to forget about fistulina and focaus for a while!:biggrin:

and suspect gerrit is most likely right in this case, im a little bit fistlina biassed I see lately!

time to forget about fistulina and focaus for a while!:biggrin:

I very much know the feeling!

Trying to call every oak with a little burr or buckle with fistulina, I force myself to look for the other features too before saying what I think. Although I can still spot them at a distance!

I need to be very much obsessed with it until April! :scared: