log splitter advice wanted

Alex Reid

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking similar today whilst standing there looking at two tractors & one 4 tonne digger thinking I could sell one & get a processor lol. Trouble is the 4wd 590 does lots of other jobs as does the digger & the 165 aint worth much.

I am currently pricing for a PTO driven splitter to take 1.0m lengths, 13 (or 14) tonne capacity being ample for my needs

Riko responded the same day with a (so far) competive quote.

No response yet from Thor or Posch suppliers.

And it does not appear that Wallenstien supply such a machine.

Thanks Jim

Cheers

M

Posch - not surprised they haven't replied - worst customer service I have ever come across :thumbdown:

I have a Riko / Balfor - has split some serious tonnage; apart from my chipper it's the best machine I own.

I thought as a general rule it was always better to specify a pto splitter with its own pump rather than using the tractor hydraulics which as mentioned here are famously poor...

I have around the same flow rate 28lpm from my IH885 and my harrows r us jobbie is superb. But the tractor revs have to be 1600rpm, if i have them at 1200 then there is a drastic decrease in splitter performance and speed so i can understand your issues with lower flow rates. IMHO 28lpm will be fine.

In case anyone is interested at 1600 rpm i am chewing through 3 quarters of a gallon per hour. So i will be building a hydraulic pack powered by my petter ph2 motor.

have just put one of my splitters on to gas as the 20hp v twin honda can use 5.75 litres/hour

it works out at between 3 or 4 litres /cubic meter depending on type of timber being split

might convert the other one if it works out alot cheaper

Cheers TCD

Good to Know that Riko supplied stuff is good, not that anyone has suggested otherwise.

M

PS

Mind after a day on a hired in splitter (again) I might be thinking that a processor would make sense, physically rather than financially that is.

Ouch!

From what i have read if you are just processing cord wood of upto 15" thats all straight then a processor is the way forward. The machines themselves seem to really hold their value, it seems they only loose 2k in value over 2 -3 years! I really cant see how you could go wrong...

No good for arb waste though :thumbdown:

A Butt:lol:, there is a catch, the butts.

I am clearfelling windthrown Lodgepole pine, not many bigger butts I suppose, anyway I could set them aside & process the suitable sized stuff with a processor.

Then hire a splitter occassionally when sufficent bigger stuff accumulated.

It is the capital expenditure all tied up.

Ideally I would like to hire a processor, but nowt available locally.

Sigh