Whats the value for clearing wind blown trees in a plantation

combined tree services

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£55 per tonne standing??? Holy Crap! We must be the lucky ones here in West Devon then paying less than £10/tonne (h/wood). FC were selling red logs (sitka) for £20 on the moor.

Sizes obviously vary; hardwood thinnings inc sawlog have always been cut to 7' down here and the same when I was in the Cotswolds. Softwoods off the moor are more typical - sawlogs minimum 12', but bars and chip at 7' again.

yeah all sounds about right , i dont know why i has 2.8 in my head for firewood !!

Have you ever used or seen a Vimek 606 mini forwarder in action ? if so what are your opinions ?

I use to do 2.4 so about 8' but i found that it went walkies at that length. At 3m it tends to stay. I've never seen a mini forwarder in action but the blurb does look good. I've always used Botex cranes & trailers. I'd love a go in a proper forwarder.

thanks TC much apreciated , i really want to get into forrestry more and i can see a good outcome to clearing windblow sites ! as mad as it sounds i see loads of plantation full of windblown or multiple windblow trees that need clearing an no one seems to wanna put their hat in the ring to do it down here

The value added is certainly in Arb. The problem is with Forestry is that it is becoming more mechanised witch pushes product value down.

Arb is still relativley un mechanised and the given client has little understanding into the work involved (which obviously relatesto price) - unlike the monopolisng saw mills for example.

Also i'd certainly not even dream of using a turfor for forestry ops. A three point winch will double the time involed in getting timber extracted.

If it were me- id be saying to the client of this site that you want a day rate of say 150 per day and the client gets the timber value miums say 10% if you sell it for him. 'Pricing' windblown sites gives way for hurried works, which has potential for disaster. Money just aint worth a broken leg, or worse! Take you time and be safe. If your client doesn't understand that then i tell 'em to stick it in thier bum hole! Good luck.

• 10 months later...

Have you done your windblow assesment!? for me this type of job is the most dangerous. So the price has to reflect this, heard a story from the Baltics a guy went out to do multi windblown they found him eventually under some trees that had slipped when he made the wrong cut. He had been totally crushed! Aslo check your insurance and HSE guidelines. :confused1: