Jensen A430T 8" - any good?

TimberCutterDartmoor

Anyone got this tracked 8" Jensen?

Does it gobble timber and brash like there's no tommorow?

On paper, it's got 5hp more and weighs a LOT more than the TW190 tracked machine; not considering the latter but a mate says his is very productive...

Thanks.

itys a jensen need i say more snap it up quick ,ther in short supply :thumbup1:

It is hard for me to sound objective because of my role. But, I had one in our place and I say that I was disappointed in it in general. It chipped and tracked okay but certainly no better than its competitors.

Other machines were better built, quicker across the ground, smoother on hard surfaces. I have to say that the whole package lacked finesse in its build quality, finish, equipment levels and I did not think it represented good value for money.

I believe that they cost significantly more than other machines but when I see the rather poor discharge chute clamping mechanism, infeed chute mechanism and infeed roller set up then I think some one has had their leg lifted.

For what they do, they are adequate................."good" in that they appear to be robust, but, is "good" a too small parameter to apply to this thread. Please expand..........

I believe that they cost significantly more than other machines but when I see the rather poor discharge chute clamping mechanism, infeed chute mechanism and infeed roller set up then I think some one has had their leg lifted.

yh agrred,, the clamp on our shute keep going and it a pain undoing the two bolts everyday to get the shute of

Indeed.

If I wasn't working for GreenMech and ran a couple myself, I think I would have the same opinion.

My observations were, after-all, based on my findings having been acquainted with said machine. I've no doubt that being a popular machine (the Jensen range) that they have their merits, but, as said, I had my reservations and as a chipper I think that they are over rated, expensive and that there are better value machines on the market. Simples.

I noted that a big user of Jensen machines had a simple mod done to all his machines which guarded the rod that links the safety bar to the spool valve. Why isn't this done across the range as that bar is vulnerable and only a slight bend renders the machine useless as it contravenes H&SE spec. Furthermore, for a machine that costs in excess of £35k, I think that the safety bar lock mechanism is lifting the buyers leg in terms of usability and value.

I'm sorry if my view offends.

Put it this way, I won't be buying new! I used to own an A530T so know its flaws; knocked it on the head when it sat around for too long (or rather I extracted myself from the deal). I now own a Jobeau 500 which is worth its weight in gold and has paid for itself 5 times over in 12 months; I will never get rid of it. I'm on the brink of doing the 6" roadtow thing (as JC might have mentioned!) but based on the work I seem to be winning a slightly bigger tracked machine would be a lot more sensible; taking 100m3 a week out of bad access jobs with no roads = this train of thought. Plus it's more flexible, more hire-outable etc etc. That monster TW with the detroit diesel on ebay would have been nice; now there's a giant TW TR300 on ebay - couldn't tow it tho!

• 4 weeks later...