M Redirect Traverse

Amelanchier

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did he not just tippy toe along the limb?

The weather was being all Northern and it was a long mossy oak limb. His redi limb was 'uge and it would have been a great safe return limbwalk.

Problem was wet rope + two anchor points on same line = uber friction. So he had to bin it and swing back into the stem ending up lower than he wanted.

The weather was being all Northern and it was a long mossy oak limb. His redi limb was 'uge and it would have been a great safe return limbwalk.

Problem was wet rope + two anchor points on same line = uber friction. So he had to bin it and swing back into the stem ending up lower than he wanted.

I see, I just 50/50 along the limb like today.

Be wary of using a re-direct above your main tip. It increases the anchor forces substantially. Especially with a rope guide as the main TIP and then a double pulley as the redirect.

Better to tie in higher and back stay, or other techniques using the access line.

ive posted this pic before and i know its throwing the m-redi talk off a little but it can be a good solution if your wary of your main TIP.you could tie in to as many anchor points as you want and its theoretically still retrievable. could also chuck in an energy absorber in case a TIP failed.(the revolver would work well here too)

P1010050.JPG.0e212ba678252263fb635344ce04b52e.JPG

That'll work Drew!

Great pic. And its simple and versatile too.

But in that pic, there is still an in-pull (probably necessary for the picture).

By letting more slack into the anchor, and by using a shorter prusik, you get as safe and simple a system as I can think of.

By using the access line, you can capture a fork from quite a distance.

Cheers

Laz

That was why I intially stopped using it; the size of anchor I'd feel comfortable with lead to too much friction. Especially round these parts - 4 inches of moss on the Oak boughs that seems permanently soaked.

That'll work Drew!

Great pic. And its simple and versatile too.

But in that pic, there is still an in-pull (probably necessary for the picture).

By letting more slack into the anchor, and by using a shorter prusik, you get as safe and simple a system as I can think of.

By using the access line, you can capture a fork from quite a distance.

Cheers

Laz

Hmmm........

Thinking about it, you could just clip the red rope the prusik is on through the prusik krab to get the same effect plus safety.

Hmmm........

Thinking about it, you could just clip the red rope the prusik is on through the prusik krab to get the same effect plus safety.

or even just use a standard cambium saver and clip a krab in the middle and run your climbing line through that as well. (making sure the krab is in between two branches).

Back to the m redi though, ive used it a few times and when it has been used ive loved it. always check that the TIPs will be strong enough and always use ropeguide/cambium savers and the friction isnt too bad. used it on a big fallen but still hanging poplar the other day where i didnt want any loops hanging down( so couldnt use end of climbing line), didnt want 2 lines to fuss about either. had 2 strong trees either side of the hanger and so used the m to tie into both and i could just hover above the poplar as i was working and slowly work my way down it. different techniques for different trees, its all good.