help working next to powerlines

egs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be honest if you are happy doing the work and you know that nothing has the potential to breach the proximity of the powerlines then there should not be a problem . but be aware if something does go wrong then you will be in a world of hurt . personally i would contact the utility co and notify them of you intent to cary out works to trees on a certain date and give them as much info as possible ie- address , pole numbers grid refrence and a detailed brief of the job .

If there really is no possible chance, and you are 100% confident you won't damage any of the networks don't worry about it. If there is even the slightest doubt in your mind leave it alone. Only you can make that call. If it were me in your shoes I'd probably deck them, take the money and run.

Stuff the networks, I would think it's more important to be 100% confident the network wont damage you.

Any idea of how many thousand little volts are waiting up there for y'all?

Stuff the networks, I would think it's more important to be 100% confident the network wont damage you.

Any idea of how many thousand little volts are waiting up there for y'all?

If they've already been topped out by a utility company, assuming they got proper clearance then short of reaching up with a pole-saw from the top of the tree how are the networks going to damage you? 230v or 400kv makes no difference if you can't get close enough for it to run a current through you. Don't hit any poles or stays with a falling tree and there won't be a problem.

Ive been asked to fell some sycamores under some powerlines that have already been topped out by the utility company . Theres no possible chance of them coming into contact with wires or pylons , do the same rules apply ?

Short story of a guy i worked with many years ago. He was clearing a woodland where a new road was being built. I can't remember the voltage involved but in the vicinity were pylons and cables coming straight out of a power station. He was well clear of the lines when he felled a tree that fell on to a barbed wire fence nailed to another tree. As he worked his way up snedding the last thing he remembered was a huge blow to his body.

He suffered massive damage to his internal organs and external damage to his chest when the 076 was blown into him.

This line had been checked by the National Grid prior to felling and he'd had the all clear to work.

Damp days, tracking and earthing through the barbed wire. Don't go near those lines!

Good, well thats a start. That'll tell you all about safe working distances to different voltages, prox zones, and all the terminology. Yawn! Taking me back to my Ua tickets now...

Regardless of wether you have UA tickets etc, if your not contracted by an approved supplier for this sort of work or directly contracted by the NO then you should follow the afag giude lines, which if you read states no works with in 2tree lengths of any power line regardless of what voltage.

Somebody also pointed out that LV IS worse than HV lines, HV has means of tripping out if struck by an object or person causing a phase to phase, but it can also trip back in several times if there is an auto recloser in play on the line. still make a mess of you if it gets hold.

LV is another beast, easiest explained like this, when you trip out lv you blow the fuses in general, now if this has happened in the past due to weather or a strike and the rec has been to sort it, they may just bang a bigger rated fuse in to get it going again, you then as the unlucky one who may contact it later will suddenly find it doesnt trip as it should and bingo your gone.

Been there and bought the tshirt, beleive me not a good place.:thumbdown:

Ive been asked to fell some sycamores under some powerlines that have already been topped out by the utility company . Theres no possible chance of them coming into contact with wires or pylons , do the same rules apply ?

The question that has been asked is "do the same rules apply".

I guess we are refering to the 2x tree height for felling 'rule'.

The 9m lateral clearance for voltages 66kV and below 'rule' and the

15m lateral clearance for 132kV, 275kV and 400kV 'rule'.

The answer to that question is yes, they do apply, as you will all agree.

Whether you wish to apply them is upto you, but maybe you are not so certain if you found the need to ask.

Do bear in mind though, that the higher the voltage, the more likely you are to receive a shock from things near (not touching) the conductors. You don't need to touch the wires to get a shock, and on higher voltages, the tree doesn't need touch the wires to give you a shock either.

Have fun....

You're right Lorry. Ventricular fibrulation can be caused by a minor shock which means that the heart is caused to have an abnormal heart beat. The person affected can feel fine right up to the point the heart stops. Other signs are pale skin, clammy skin, sweating, general feeling of being unwell, weakness or absolutely no ill feeling at all. Electricity can arc through the air so the tree you are working on definately doesn't need to be touching the conductor in order for you to get a shock. I've had a belt from th static charge around a 500KV line. The static charge alone can be over 40,000 volts. And 240v CAN earth through a tree depending on how much sap is flowing, what type of tree, how dead the tree is etc. Believe me, I speak from experience.