Advice on Builders using saws...

Jarbman

Hi all,

basically a freind has just bought a new house and the garden needs some work done to it and a few trees removed, i was asked because i have a saw and my cs30/31 (38 soon:thumbup1:). thinking that it would be general property maintanance i agreed.

however i have subsequently found out that the builders who are renovating the house will be there and are going to be hiring a chainsaw to help.

i was happy to do this as a freind, as a one off type thing, but if builders are going to be there i feel uncomfortable as im unsure on the legislation. i have been told they are insured as builders. but would i be correct in saying they need cs30/31 (or more) to be insured for tree work?

I should say that i had made it vey clear that i had no insurance so would look at the trees before work to say if it was within my ability and i was doing this a favour, i should also say im 19 and still quite "green" to the industry, so directly confronting the builders could lead to me being dismissed as being a "know it all kid". i just wanted to know your thoughts

Thanks Guys

Not sure what the legislation is over there but you can't hire a saw over here with or without tickets. I would probably inform your friend that the builders won't be covered for tree work unless they have specific insurance for it (probably not), and even then they will only be covered if they have the relevant NPTC certs. If they have an accident it will be your friend as their employer who will be liable.

Think the builders wont give a toss All they wont is to get paid at the end of the day and will do anything.

You don't see me building a house So why should they be allowed to cut down tree with out Proper training..

Same here not sure how i would go about it I would say im qualified to take tree down safely and there not.Its the home owner who decides not the builders Talk to the home onwer nothing to do with the builders

Yeah- the builders' insurance will almost certainly NOT cover them for tree work, esp as it is almost certain that they wont be using PPE so if it goes wrong and there is an injury then their ins company will wriggle out. It is also unlikely (but not impossible) that bob the builder really knows what he is doing, and the scope for disaster is huge. If it does go wrong, there is a very strong possibility that the homeowner will be held responsible. Without specific details then it is pretty hard to say, but either way it is probably to be strongly discouraged.

Dont get all up set by builders using saws. saws are not the holy grail, they are just tools. We think we are the only ones who can or should use them but overall I bet arbs are a minor percentage of overall users. Sure we spend more money on PPE than others but more fool us sometimes!!

They wont be insured, and you are not, but your just doing a favour for a mate, dont worry about it, only do what is within your abilities and dont forget to save some time for laughing at the builders!

Just check out the conservation/TPO thing out first, that should be your concern more than builders using saws, leave them to it.

HI Jarbman

For me you have just done your training and are 19 same age as my son.

My advise would be you haven't worked with these guys before, so it's an unknown risk how they work. Like 'Pub Climbers' - they talk good - believe what you see not what they people say.

For me insurance is your skill, a piece of paper is for when it goes wrong.

You need to make you own assessment and work plan, if other try and take over leave the site, he's a mate not a commitment, you can walk away at any time.

never underestimate the height of a tree and allow twice the time, this way you have the extra time to work safely, and take breaks and you will be praised for working inside your doubled up time:thumbup1: