Amazing Trees of the World

David Humphries

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure have matey, these were taken in Joshua Tree National Park, California. You probably know this already, but they are not actually trees, they are monocotyledons, and are a member of the Genus Yucca. So, these tree-like plants have no cambium as the vascular bundles are scattered throughout their stems! Quite remarkable that something more related to a grass can grow to these proportions! I think they are amazing. They look wonderful as a dark silhouette as the sun goes down in the desert you get some awesome colours in the sky. Shame my photography skills were not up to the task and i didn't have a tripod! :thumbdown:

The species photographed is Yucca brevifolia subsp. brevifolia, the other subspecies been subsp jaegeriana. The only difference between the species is the one only branches after flowering and the other branches freely, so i'm told, resulting in a much more compact appearance.

5976541a26dba_Californiacard9085.jpg.4d1a70f5d359b89786c998bef5479e39.jpg

5976541a212de_Californiacard9130.jpg.9bb821710efc12c1dbc1807394bdb94f.jpg

5976541a1e6a2_Californiacard9074.jpg.3b3e8aab716b5bbb028ad951ff12cca9.jpg

5976541a16cbc_Californiacard9069.jpg.209107ff4b1676f08c5a1c379ec1751d.jpg

thank u Sciadopitys for the pics and all the info too,I had never seen a Joshua tree before and I had asked arborists here{N.Z.}about them and no one really knew anything about them,I printed your pics and hung them on the office board and when people ask about them I will have a lot of information to tell them,I would love to grow some here but I will have to check up on that first{noxious weed etc}.

I think we have some pretty amazing trees right here on our doorstep, the way in which they adapt and cling onto life.

I have had to take down two trees, just humble Oaks, from cliff faces for...wait for it...H&S reasons. The first I photographed but lost the images when my computor crashed and burned.

It was a mature Oak growing out of a fissure or crack halfway down a cliff facethe fissure was only 3" wide and the Oak was about 30" DBH and somehow it had put out enough to cling on to the side of this cliff.

The other below was one that was perched on the edge of a 60ft cliff above a bungalow, there was only 6" of soil then solid rock, again the tree finding enough purchase for it's precarious existence, shame it had to come down

130_3079.jpg.0ef391b698fbfcdd850ede2afef86385.jpg

130_3065.jpg.caa6d6893b8a351a2b2ab14b63dc4028.jpg

130_3058.jpg.480d23dd105a1d65e64f138aa1631287.jpg

130_3056.jpg.8e9ec6ee828eea12cf120262608625e8.jpg

[quote name=Dean Lofthouse;131319

The other below was one that was perched on the edge of a 60ft cliff above a bungalow' date=' there was only 6" of soil then solid rock, again the tree finding enough purchase for it's precarious existence, shame it had to come down[/quote]

I still remember this Oak of yours Dean, and the story behind what was for you, an interesting (to say the least) week.

What I can't remember is whether you left it as coppice/stump, or did for it?

Interesting take on BS EN 12492 :sneaky2:

Edited by Monkey-D

I still remember this Oak of yours Dean, and the story behind what was for you, an interesting (to say the least) week.

What I can't remember is whether you left it as coppice/stump, or did for it?

Interesting take on BS EN 12492 :sneaky2:

The stump I left live at 6ft David to keep everything bound together at the top, with a note for a visual inspection every 3 or 4 years.

Believe it or not I had to google BS EN 12492 :001_smile:

That day was one of my "fly by the seat of my pants days" :001_smile:

Stump below

130_3093.jpg.d6299487bd2978f04a96b40b69288ed1.jpg