changing vehicle to agricultural??

sammer

Hi all,

could do with some advice on if anyone has changed there truck to agri and how much shite they giv u at the dvla!

i know all the rules and regs mostly but is it as simple as goin to dvla showing them a pic of truck with timber poles and grab on and then swaping over under the 'lift and load' catagory to agri?

do u have to own the forest to work it like if you own the farm and use your tractor because 1 guy at dvla said if i was doing work in a woods i didn't own i'd need a bloody operators license! bet no-one with a mog or timber tractor rig has got one hey!!

The truck in question is the one in picture to left, 13.5ton 4x4 iveco with 8t/m grab,

anyone know about laws regarding big forest chippers and tractor units as they seem to be on agri and can drive anywhere they like when they dont own the forests??

any views and help massivly appreciated

sam

The registration is the easy part, you just fill the paperwork in and send it to the DVLA, they don’t care what you register it as and there are no checks.

If you are going to use it for tree surgery you can’t use red but using it as a forwarder in the woods or on site is fine.

I have done it three timesl legally with approval. Once with a Bedford MK with winch and on a U900/417 that was a tug for the MOD and on a 10 ton Mercedes 4x4. I had the vehicles checked in person and approved as we are an Agricultural/Forestry small business. DVLA office was very helpful.

Does help a lot if the vehicle has not been registered as something else before. (MOD vehicles not registered as civilian)