Lineboss.

High Scale

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started climbing on three strand manila with a non-locking steel rope snap and a tautline. You can bet that I won't go back there!

How many started climbing without a manufactured harness? After all, a three loop bowline is the basis for all of our harnesses anyway. there's no need for anything but a rope to climb a tree.

When Jason Blake injected the Blake's hitch it took about three days of climbing to make the move...never looked back.

The resistance to change in some aspects of tree climbing but not others is a real interesting phenomena to me.

There certainly is a risk of having complex systems fail because of having so many parts. But...we all drive vehicles that are complex...does anyone routinely check the torque on the wheel nuts? How often are fluids checked? More just rhetorical questions...

At the end of the day...does all of the complex gear that we have make our lives better? To some degree it must or arbos would go back to using three strand and no harnesses.

i'd agree, on the fact that something with more components, has more chances of failing. but lockjack's, this new line boss(seems to look like a variation of the lock jack), are both incredibly simple devices, based on weight and angles. nothing more, no little computers. as obvious to see fault in as a piece of rope. i guess i like the consistency of mechanical devices. more and more of them seem to be slowly pushing out other rope systems. give it another 10 years see where we stand then.

p.s wouldn't mind a wang off that uniscender.

You guys haven't lived till you've spent 10 hours in a three strand hemp bowline on a bight using a two man crosscut bucking saw, 300 foot in the air, felling a Taxodium Distichum.. :001_tongue:

That would be quite a feat, considering that the tallest recorded T. distichium were around the 150 foot mark.......

That would be quite a feat, considering that the tallest recorded T. distichium were around the 150 foot mark.......

so in short drella, is one of these old boys who starts off sentences with 'when i was a lad...' then grossly exagerates. the tree puts on ten feet every time he tells the story. so technically it's still growing ha ha

how many started on 3 stand and a prussic loop

would you go back i would not

Prussic loop, omg you had it good, I learnt to climb on 3 strand and had to tie the tail of my bowline into a prussic on the standing part of my rope.

When I got my first prussic loop in 1989 I thought I was the dogs.

Trust me, 8 strand multiplat was mucho better than nylon 3 strand. It was like climbing on a bungee line.

nylon??? I started on manila.....

I think I did a little climbing years ago on that early dynamic rock rope,Goldline....very stretchy nylon...aarrghh. no good for tree work!