Wooden platter

Dean Lofthouse

Beech, sycamore, oak are all excellent. Beech is the traditional one, as it coes very hard and is an attractive colour too. Sycamore is naturally sterile, good for cheeseboards, or any food related stuff TBH, and oak is oak- superb for everything. Thats what I made the last two arbtalk prize chopping boards out of. Try to get a 1/4 sawn piece as there will be almost no movement. (the endgrain wants to be about as close to 90 degrees to the surface as possible, avoiding the very heart of the log if you can).

Hope that helps.

Best chopping boards are always end grain beech; thought it was food-safe aswell.

I have an end grain beech one already which I bought from the yorkshire show, but it is made up from little squares all glued together, can hardly lift the bloody thing it's that heavy.

Our lass said, "What the hell am I supposed to do with that?" when I brought it home :biggrin:

Hi the other replies seem to cover yopur question however what nobody has mentioned is that Burr wood is not really practical for Bread boards or chopping boards.

Whilst it would look very attractive all sorts of nasty things can hide and breed in the 'burry bits' so I should stick with a nice piece of plain beech which can be easily scrubbed.

Sycamore or Maple would be my other choices but whichever if its quarter sawn it will look its best.

Kraftinwood

Woodturning Large Bowls and Hollow Forms, Australian and Native Burrs.

End grain sycamore is actually the ultimate, as the grain closes up again better than any other timber, and is naturally sterile, which is why butchers blocks are meant to be made from it.

Nice Tom never knew that :biggrin:

These these things that can go on chainsaws that'll make you all the chopping boards you'll ever need....

.... hang on I'll remember in a minute or two

:laugh1: