L200 Warrior: Good Commercial vehicle or not???

monkeypuzzle22

Hi Callum, some good advice on here particularly from Richyrich. I have had quite a lot of 4x4 vehicles and richy is spot on. The one thing with L200's, perhaps above all else as things will always go wrong with motors, is to look at the rear springs and the mounts on the L200's. They are very stiff, corrode quickly and expensive to replace (circa £500). That said you can now get after-market ones for around half that. Towing is an issue for the L200. No idea why but they just don't seem to handle it.

As for the defender, find a different mechanic or learn to do the work yourself - most of it is pretty straight forward on them and by the sounds of it you have done all the work it'll need for a long while so hang on to it.

For what you're likely to use a L200 for it's a good option - in fact most 4x4's will do what you need it to. For what it's worth my philosophy with motors is spend less than a couple of grand on as much motor as you can get. I'll spend up to 3k a year on purchase, any repairs etc and if after a year its done - sell it. I've always made my money back and a few quid!!!

Bottom line, always walk away if you have any doubts...hope that helps.

Iain

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, meant to say...more of a general point on imports. Mostly hilux and pajero's with auto boxes. Anything less than a 3lt engine seems to have over heating issues and the thermostat is often removed. Either way the end result is not pretty and I've seem a few that have cracked engine blocks as a result - which is terminal or just plain expensive! Just thought I would mention it!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again everyone...The problem I'm having is I need a vehicle I put woodchip/logs in to as well as kit and dog etc, but it also has to be used for quoting, surveying and doing the shopping in!! I can't afford 2 vehicles at min!!!

I know people are all thinking Transit but there has to be an alternative??Would a pickup fir much in??1tonne maybe...

Callum

2004 L200 Double Cab 4WORK GL 2.5TD.

110k miles

25 mpg average - not the best (less when towing).

Crap turning circle

Gutless engine unless empty.

Rear leaf springs go if not loaded.

Have had very few problems; transmission is noisy tho. Had to replace prop centre mount at 100k and transfer mount (a pathetic item the size of a golf ball).

But have towed upto the limit :laugh1: regularly and it never gives up.

Had a puncture recently - fitted a Toyo Open Country - what a tyre! Going to have four of them real soon.

Off road ability much improved with some weight in the back. Axle articulation is good.

Detest the current L200 - looks like an ant and is even more hairdresser than mine.

Next truck won't be an L200. Rodeo gets good reviews but they only do a double cab (correct me if I'm wrong please) and I don't want another DC as no-one ever sits in there and I wouldn't mind the extra bed space.

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbup1:

As the saying goes, 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'....For me they are an awful looking thing- a true hairdressers motor. If you want a mega trendy car that can sort of cope off road then its probably perfect. It projects totally the image i dont want to though.

You did ask for comments.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

My l200 is on a 52 plate i use it for my dogs ,wood and have used it towing trailer full of logs&chip having the cab on the back keeps dogs /most of dirt away from the main cab/bar sawdust, so its can still be used for shopping and general stuff i find it practical as others have said a few issues i had a leaf spring go and my fuel pump went on mine also a very common fault is the boost pressure sensors going on them and the solenoid situated in front of the drivers side by the turbo...but other than these things its a pretty reliable 4x4 and i dont intend on getting rid for some time .It cost a lot less to run than my old hilux surf i have to admit i dont like the look of the newer ones though too modern ,if i had a choice i would go for a brand spanking new toyota hilux ;)but i can keep on dreaming lol

I've finally decided to give up on old vehicles and I'm lease purchasing a pickup.

After much research and reading, I'm going for a Nissan Navara, and on paper, it seems the best choice. Best MPG, highest engine power, cheapest, largest inside and out and seemingly pretty tough. I'll reserve judgement until I've had it a while, but pretty excited about getting it.

I am in agreement with some of the sentiments here regarding the L200 - it really is butt fugly!

Jonathan