A theory on root pruning. . . .

Ian Flatters

I was just chatting to a freind out in italy and he was saying that out there they use bonsai root pruning techniques on large trees to stimulate root growth from pruning. The stuff they put on is called superthrive?? i think. I was wondering what your opinions are on this. As i don't do much root pruning prob once in three years.

Oh it involves using a thin bandage over the root and coated with the superthrive stuff. Like this;

166653_188678364493021_100000525771593_615373_7129375_n.jpg.be0537e063a2cdcad3f8f29a6187a044.jpg

Edited by Ian Flatters
more info

Hi Ian,

I would like to hear the full explanation about this. My first thought is how this root would produce more roots than had already been severed. It seems that much of the cambium is damaged and it will require the use of valuable energy reserves to compartmentalize whilst producing new root growth?

For what reason is the pruning undertaken?

Cheers

Will

It makes sense if the roots that are being removed have been damaged/diseased etc greater than 35% or more. So it would be similar to pruning off a limb that was severely diseased or damage.

One large wound opposed to many wounds makes better use of energy.

To stimulate growth? Something is missing from this pic.

Root pruning is a great way to control tree size, force flring and fruiting. It was Taught as Scottish Pruning.

Happy Robbert Burns Day to all.

Bonsai is about reducing a tree's vigour and growth as I understand it, so I'm a bit lost as to why this will encourage root growth :confused1:

Have you got any more details on this from you mate?

Thats where i am and thought id ask people with much better understanding than me. But apparently its all about working within the scale of it????:confused1: Bonsai small, tree larger. :confused1: Thats why i asked as i ain't got a clue as to its pros and cons.

The tree is always going to balance its roots with its crown - if you remove roots, the tree will either regrow an equivalent amount, or shed part of the crown. It won't just grow extra roots that it doesn't need.

I'd be interested in what the actual benefits are reckoned to be, if there is something more than controlling size.