possibley got a job doing rail clearance

Alasdair

Do fountains still do railway work or did connaught buy them out? I would like to have a go on the railways, heard the money is good. Currently on power line work but the pay isn't all that good.

I was doing 7 hour night shifts with about 5-6 hours of actual work in Wales last year on a blockade. 6 Nights a week £ 115 a night. Felling all night with a head torch on working a steep slope in the rain aint for the faint hearted though.

All good Exp though. Get stuck in lad!

Edited by big fell!
Typo

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do rail for about 3 years with walkers. I loved it i took alot away from it try and get your COSS and lookout/site warden tickets because if you dont like the tree cutting side of it you could go and work for network rail. working nights was good fun it does push you as a climber working up a tree over the lines in the dark! I would say the worst bit is the BLACK THORN!! rips your arms to bits!

Some one asked if fountains/counnaght are still doing rail when I was there (about a year ago) they had closed down the rail side of stuff due to the lack of work. but this may of changed.

I work alot on the rails, mainly doing big leaf fall sites and DDDs {dead dying dangerous} trees. Its good work but hard work. As other people have said its weekend/nights when alot of work is done.

Pay can vary from companys and sites but ranging from 100 a shift to 250 a shift for more tickets and experience. Pays better than domestic work from own experience but have to wait for money from time to time. Just make sure you check out the company your working for. Did the company your going to work for once trade under Scotish lumberjax? or Uni mog hire? worth finding out. Fountains not on the rails anymore as gave up there link up a few months ago. good luck..

Any work is welcome work:thumbup1:

I used to do rail for about 3 years with walkers. I loved it i took alot away from it try and get your COSS and lookout/site warden tickets because if you dont like the tree cutting side of it you could go and work for network rail. working nights was good fun it does push you as a climber working up a tree over the lines in the dark! I would say the worst bit is the BLACK THORN!! rips your arms to bits!

Some one asked if fountains/counnaght are still doing rail when I was there (about a year ago) they had closed down the rail side of stuff due to the lack of work. but this may of changed.

connaugnts property went under sept/oct time owing millions including my mates (builders,sparks and landscapers) i got out just in time,but i dont know which arm of connaughts fountains was under:thumbdown::thumbdown:

connaugnts property went under sept/oct time owing millions including my mates (builders,sparks and landscapers) i got out just in time,but i dont know which arm of connaughts fountains was under:thumbdown::thumbdown:

yes connaugnt did go bust but the part fountains was under did not as it was classed as a diff comany. I was talking to some one still working for fountains and edf and its not going well at all but tbh its allways been a crock of ....... glad I got out of there! they owe the subbie cutters a lot of money and not getting paid by edf as they have not hit targets (they never have) :confused1: