Vimek or ALstor 8x8

treedave

As the title suggests I'm looking at getting one or other. Anybody got any experience working with / owning either of the above. The vids available on you tube are impressive, but most ads are. I'm after the day to day niggles / improvements etc.

For those that are in the dark about these machines see below,

VIMEK :: 620

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8mNDaey5uo&feature=related]YouTube - Alstor 8x8 utility vehicle[/ame]

Edited by treedave

I have seen the Alstor working on very steep terrain. Nice machine but expensive to purchase new even in the UK. The Vimek can be used as an ATV without the back section unlike the Alstor 8x8.

Both with a petrol engine which drinks fuel with hard work. Maintenance costs are high.

There is an alternative and I shall find the link. I had looked at these machines several years ago for moorland work.

I've thought about those as a base vehicle, just seem a bit wide. They do have better speed and probably capacity. Not sure how the tracks would hold up to the harder ground / rock between the bogs I usually end up in.

Nice light pressure though 2-3 psi if my maths is right, but a 16 m turning circle!, not exactly nippy. Will check prices though as they'd be a belting machine on a moss or moorland.

Hagglund BV206 All Terrain Vehicles

Did you end up getting something similar or nothing in the end.

Edited by treedave

• 5 months later...

Don't know if you ever got sorted with a machine but i have a vimek minimaster. Quite old, bought it from Scottish Native Woodlands who now run an Alstor. The Vimek can carry 1.5 ton in hardwood thinnings, crane is plenty strong enough. The machine does need regular maintenance and can eat through a drive belt after 200 ton. With the capstans engaged on the trailer it will go most places, i tend to use it now to feed the firewood processor from the stack as we have a 6 ton forwarding trailer. If you get more than 20 ton a day forwarded on a average cart you are doing well! there are some clips on youtube ‪woodlandgroundcare's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks Iain

I would always recommend the Alstor. I've used it on several occasions and Scottish Native Woods with their Alstors do all our extraction. It's very versatile, quite quick (provided the extraction route isn't too long) and there is nothing smaller for getting into tight stands.

I would argue that it doesn't use much fuel either (about 2-3 gallons for an 8-10 hour day). It can carry upwards of two tonnes per load (in softwoods really - you run out of space in the bendier hardwoods) and a good operator should manage upwards of 2 loads an hour. I should stress that I am not a good operator!

Additionally, and I think that this is a huge plus - you can tow the Alstor behind any normal 4x4. I think that all the other forwarders are too heavy, thus increasing the haulage costs significantly.

As far as I'm aware regarding maintenance costs, the older of the two Alstors I'm familiar with has over 170 billed days under it's belt for about £650 in maintenance costs beyond oil changes.

Jonathan

there was an article in the latest forestry journel with quite a few of these machines in it peoviding a bigger scope to look at some of them looked quite interesting especially the micro harvesters and brush cutting atachments

Had the Alstor demo'd in our woods by SNW, and saw Nathan the importer putting one through some improbable manoeuvres when I sold him some livestock a few years back. Very impressive but the cost is eye watering. Possible cheaper alternative is the Wheelhorse, basically a Kranman driven trailer matched with a 2wd traction unit that you can ride or lead on foot like the Iron Horse. Artcom import them. Kranman have also launched their own version of this, the Bison.