how to become self employed?

mark_goldfinch

Self employment doesn't have too many advantages ,motoring costs ,but percentage allowance for personal use , but the sting in the tail is if self employed then more expenses and responsiblities ( insurance PPE own kit etc all tax deductable but how long will you have to work to pay these fixed costs back ) dont forget you still have to pay insurance and bank loans even when your not earning. Self employment means no paid holiday, no sick leave, but you do learn to work and get on with the job. I've been self employed for over twenty years when things is good out there it's OK .

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a full time job on a self employed basis is actually not right, the employer would be beniffitting more than the employee. It works to a certain extent in the construction industry but there are different regulations for that. So self employed is for people who work for many companies, i.e. they dont have "a job".

You cant get offered a full time job and then be told you will be self employed.

Margate Business | Small Business | New Business Start Up | Information & Advice

Business Link Starting up | Business Link

used to offer free start up course (not sure if they still do).

Edit: Seems they still do

http://online.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/eventDescription?itemId=5000845412〈=en&r.l1=1073858805&r.l2=1073859137&site=210&type=EVENTS

however, watch out for the hard sell for subsequent courses.

You can be both employed and self employed at the same time.

You can pay tax on PAYE and also fill in a self assesment.

I was unsure and found an accountant who was very helpful. Just ask around other self employed people in your area who they use.

On the taxmans website there are pretty specific rules to determine if you are employed or self employed.

Edited by JimE

Yes, you can be employed a few days a week on paye, and then self employed the other days and do a tax return, but you cant have a full time job on self employed status.

Well you can do it, but the IR veiw it very badly and the employer can be open to prosecution. Its a form of exploitation and we have employment laws to protect employees from that kind of thing.

hi all, hope all is well. what do i need to do to become self employed if and when i find a job, are there lots of forms and stuff i need to fill in, i havent a clue as i have only ever been PAYE. And what, if any loop holes are there where i can claim black money ie for training and equipment. any help would be very much appreciated. thanks.

i take it your a fire man ? why would you wont to leave such a great job ?