small harnesses

Bushbaby

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Louisa - you should maybe talk to Jess about this, her harness is some prototype that has now come out in size xs. Very comfy. I think Trees Unlimited is sourcing it.

It's tricky taking advise from men on this issue, as female bodies more often than not are constructed differently. For example, a woman's pelvis is constructed so that it can adjust (expand) when pregnant, as opposed to the fixed male pelvis. This means that a harness such as Tree Motion, which is made to sit on top of your hip bones, may put pressure on your pelvis that may cause damage to the flexibility of this part of your body. Ideally, a female harness should sit between your hip bone and your lower ribs. Obviously, females being generally smaller than males, the distance between waist bone and ribs will be shorter than the size of normal harness back supports. This mainly relates to harnesses where your only D rings are to the sides and not to the front of your legs (as in Tree Austria 2 etc). If using a harness where more of the weight is distributed to your legs then the size of the back support pad will be of less importance.

Someone said that any harness size small would do. I have to say that size small is not always size small. My Tree Austria Duo is size small and a perfect fit for my waist, but my new Tree Austria 2 is also size small but won't adjust to as small as the Duo!

Best advise Louisa - try as many harnesses as you can at the comp in Wales or at the APF. I assume you won't be hanging heavy saws off the harness so ignore advise relating to that. Go for whatever is comfy, check for pinching on the inside of your thighs, ease of putting on and reaching gear on the back of the harness. But I'm sure Pete's already gone through that with you!

Linda

Not sure that jumping down peoples thoats is something i have seen before?

I would like to see it though, the thought of a fully grown man, literally, jumping down a throat would be something worth seeing :001_cool: visions of disapearing people!

Sorry, harness' oh yes.......

• 2 weeks later...
..........It's tricky taking advise from men on this issue, as female bodies more often than not are constructed differently. For example, a woman's pelvis is constructed so that it can adjust (expand) when pregnant, as opposed to the fixed male pelvis. This means that a harness such as Tree Motion, which is made to sit on top of your hip bones, may put pressure on your pelvis that may cause damage to the flexibility of this part of your body. Ideally, a female harness should sit between your hip bone and your lower ribs. Obviously, females being generally smaller than males, the distance between waist bone and ribs will be shorter than the size of normal harness back supports. Linda

Quite a few claims you make there Linda.

On what basis?

Are you saying the TM will cause problems, or any belt fitted to the pelvis?

We disagree that a harness properly designed to the pelvis will cause women flexibility issues.

After all, the TreeFlex pelvic fit concept was designed by a woman (and mother) with 28 yrs experience as a remedial fitness professional, carefully considering male and female form. The flexibility adapts to the female pelvis well, though there is quite a range of female hip morphology.

What science makes you claim that a pelvic belt will cause child bearing issues? The TM and TFX are very different in how they fit the pelvis. There are child bearing issues that need to be considered by female climbers, but not in this respect.

The short torso of the woman makes for more serious lower back issues and higher compressional forces to internal organs, if an above waist design is used.

But hey, what do I know, right? I am but a man! :001_cool: