Geocaching

Simon Rotheram

In Devon it was/is called 'letter boxing' and has been going on on Dartmoor for more than 100 years (that is, pre-GPS).

Here's more about it: Letterboxing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My wife is a mad keen 'Dartmoor walker' and is up there twice in most weeks. Keeps her well fit!

Best wishes,

John Russell

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Devon it was/is called 'letter boxing' and has been going on on Dartmoor for more than 100 years (that is, pre-GPS).

Here's more about it: Letterboxing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My wife is a mad keen 'Dartmoor walker' and is up there twice in most weeks. Keeps her well fit!

Best wishes,

John Russell

I think they call it "dogging" round these parts :biggrin:

Yeah for sure. There's a few in the park I work at. A couple of them were put in by our assistant. We hire out gps units to school groups and have them do some sort of challenge with it. I keep my nose out of it though as it really is dull as dishwater, particularly when you find people who are into it to the point of obsession. When I was young, it was all orienteering. Now it's bloody hanging off the side of bridges looking for a kinder egg sized parcel wedged between brickwork. The kids lap it up though, so I suppose it is a good thing, and it gets them out and about.

sums it all up.

when-I-were-a-lad we used a map, a compass, and our eyes.

young-kids-these-days have to be told where to go by some stupid electric gadget so they don't have to think for themselves.

you would never catch me sitting infront of a pile of silicon chips all evening staring dumbly at at screen!

Nothing like a thread like this to fire up the naysayers ! "when we were kids" blah blah blah ... I've never found a Geowatsit but it sounds like a great way to get kids excited about exploring the countryside and parents too to go to places where they'd not otherwise have considered. Walking is just walking without a target and a pub isn't a good enough target or a 10 year old !

I hear what some of you are saying, but trying to get a teenager of his rear and outside is a nightmare, prefers to sit in front of a laptop/xbox.

He's up for this and it stops me working for a while and it means the wife gets a break from me and him as well, every ones a winner. :thumbup::thumbup:

I'll post my finds on here, either that or I'll tell you it's crap and I'm not going again.:001_smile:

good luck Justin, hope you & the lad have some good adventures.

Take tree id book along with you to teach him what trees are out there :thumbup1:

Will do, got one to find local to us as a tester and it says I will need a pin or twezers.:confused1::confused1::thumbup:

well there are 3 geo things with in 5 mins walk from my house.:thumbup:

I doenloaded an app for my iphone, its amazing. I was sitting in the cafe today telling my mate about it who owns the place, i turned it on and there was 1 less than 50m away in the railway station. I finished up and off we went, what a laugh, it was so exciting, i felt like a kid. The app gave us a clue and we were following a flashing arrow on the screen with a countdown in metres, we asked the ticket guy and he looked blank.:sneaky2:

Long story short we spent 30mins wlkling about the station and car park, looking up lamposts, behind signs, phoneboxes and still couldnt find it. We had a clue that it was magnetic and tiny and was a little book to be signed. We never found it but i shall return lol.:biggrin:

There is 1 500m from my yard aswell. The ones locally are all at famous landmarks about the town, i have found a new hobby:001_cool: