which type of log splitter?

Joe

.....im in need of a mobile splitter but would like to hear some feedback if anyone has experience please?

how mobile do you want it?

what diameter are you splitting?

what force do you want?

how much will you be splitting per year?

how much do you want to spend?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very mobile, own engine tow behind job. the diameter will be large but thats irrelevant as a lot of it will probably be quartered with chainsaw to move anyway. I have a processor for most of my work...this is primarily of off-site would that i have sourced...im looking into ways of making wood collection feasable, one of these options is to process wood on site and sell straight out.

im interested in these small tow behinds, they would be ideal for my particular useage

just had a close look at jones mtd.

i had a Rabaud similar to that at 20ton. I found it hard work as bending over all the time. it was easier with 2 people.

also took it out on site as you want to do and found we could only put it where a chipper could go and if carting big logs to front of house to split, it was easier to put straight on wagon. got a crane now.

if splitting large quantities for over an hour i would highly recomend a table top one, or a high horizontal splitter.... saves on back ache.

i understand your idea and is a great way of marketing the product.

if i do go out on site to split now, i have a cheap £200 winch crane to lift my table top on and off the truck and then drag that to the wood.

Logsplitters - LS550

ls550_t.jpg

Code: Logsplitter LS550

Cost: £1779.00 (retail inc. VAT)

Warranty: One year leisure/three months commercial

Specs: 6hp Briggs & Stratton Engine

25 Ton Ram Force

Vertical or Horizontal Operation

Takes Logs up to 25"/63.5cm

Jack Stand

Two handle control

19 Seconds Cycle

Steve,this is what I have. Its NOT road towable, you need a seperate trialer, I use a Iffor william P6 unbraked small trailer which is another £500 ish

Mine is a lawnflite but its the same as the MTD one, just a different lable on it.

We take it on site for quartering rings, it saves having a truck load of sawdust to clear up.

You could easily bolt some wings onto the metal bits that are there already to make a tray but, horizontal mode is rubbish! The controls are designed (cheaply) for vertical mode. Horizontally its hard to get a comfy position and your hands are working sideways. The safety control is hard to press so its easier to have your body weight pushing down on it.

Two blokes would not lift it anywhere! Its heavy, not sure how heavy maybe 300KGs??

You would have to put a front jockey wheel on it a winch it up ramps. Mine has a standard tow hitch attached so we can move it around the yard with the quad or whatever is handy.

This is a usefull thing for moving it or chippers accross lawns etc