Lets see your Guns.

Sam Thompson

Depends what grain bullet and if you home load, Personaly not got a problem with mine!:001_tt2:

What you shooting?

In mine (Tikka T3 with a 20inch barrel) I use 160 round-nosed for woodland (munties, roe, red, fallow), 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips (Hunting type) for red hinds, roe on the hill. And 140 soft point spitzers for red stags and occasionally Hinds (Hill work).

Either of 'ems better than a .243 though!

Sam

Maximum of 140 grains, pushed with 46 grains of N160 2700fps Barnes TSX. Usualy 120 Grains TSX same powder, 3000fps. Shot everything with that bullet, all 6 species except CWD including huge Thetford Reds. I am going to try 100 grain Noslers.

.243 is a good starter round and will take all species of deer but can be a bit harsh on meat damage with the wrong bullet!

Maximum of 140 grains, pushed with 46 grains of N160 2700fps Barnes TSX. Usualy 120 Grains TSX same powder, 3000fps. Shot everything with that bullet, all 6 species except CWD including huge Thetford Reds. I am going to try 100 grain Noslers.

You get those figures of a chrony? They are impressive, almost matching .270 speeds. But at range the .270 is going to hit harder. How are you getting TSX in 140?! Can you get me some? I have only ever seen them in 120 and 130.

.243 is a good starter round and will take all species of deer but can be a bit harsh on meat damage with the wrong bullet!

I dont like .243 for reds, even though I have shot enough of them with one. Unless your bullet placement is bob on then a decent sized beast often doesn't drop with a H/L shot. As a guide thats too big a risk to take, hence why lots of estates are asking for guests to use a bigger calibre. Best leaving it to varminting, what it was made for.

Sam :)

JUst thinking about it... what the rig? Barrel length etc.? Im so nosey!

good thread you got going here sam.

Cheers mate :)

Depends what your doing IMHO. A 6.5x55 is a great woodland rifle, sub 200m I don't think it can be beaten, but once you get out to 200-300m then the trajectory is so loopy its like firing over the rainbow.

I think that the .270 is probably the best off the self hill calibre about, apart from maybe a .30-06 if your man enough. I reckon more deer have been killed up north with a .270 than anything else, though maybe a .243 is getting close these days.

Sam :)

What makes a 30-06 Better than a .270 if your using the same Weight Projectile?

What makes a 30-06 Better than a .270 if your using the same Weight Projectile?

Using the same weight projectile? Bigger case capacity. But the bigger range of bullets availible for the 06 makes it more versatile. Bigger case = more powder = more Wumph.

Just my opinions

Using the same weight projectile? Bigger case capacity. But the bigger range of bullets availible for the 06 makes it more versatile. Bigger case = more powder = more Wumph.

Just my opinions

.270 is based on a 3006 Case.Identical Powder Capacity and Shoulder angle.

Sorry mate now.

Can I just ask, without being rude, why the foof do you want a WSM?! Within a year cases etc will be impossible to get hold of due to the fact even the Yankees' don't like them!

IMHO They don't do anything a .270 (Unfashionable at the moment I know, but still one of the finest medium game/medium-long range calibers ever made) will do.

If you want something a little better than a .270 but still shizzle hot look at the .280 :thumbup1:

Hi Sam! I've shot the .300 wsm and the 270 wsm and opted for the .270 wsm as a rifle I could use for deer and target, you can get 20% more poke for the same reduction in powder, Also due to the burn rate being quicker you get less recoil. Ill hand load so once the brass is fire formed I should get enought use to cover the shots Ill take each year. I also use a .243 so it wouldnt get a massive amount of use. did think of getting a swedish and still might, not really feeling the shooting at the moment