insurance

Aaron

In your analogy, if someone overtook you and slammed there brakes on, and it turned out you (and they) were all on a private road, you would laugh in their face! No amount claiming whip lash woud work then?

So if by "on site" you mean someone elses back garden, then they are not protected there by law anyway. If you mean the client coming into their own garden and tripping over a twig then that is between you and the client, I'd happily see them in court if they are trying it on, but you should be able to manage the health and saftey of your client!

I know I've mentioned all this before, but i still go along with anybody working in public areas where people CAN come onto you worksite and trip over, then yes they should have insurance, and be a proper tree surgery outfit.

Some one doing private work on the side/weekend should just stop worrying about legallities, and either insure against any genuine risk or not.

Some one doing private work on the side/weekend should just stop worrying about legallities, and either insure against any genuine risk or not.

Sorry but rubbish.

If I cause harm though my own neglect/stupidity call it what you will I would want them to not have to sue me for a pittance but receive due compensation.

In your analogy, if someone overtook you and slammed there brakes on, and it turned out you (and they) were all on a private road, you would laugh in their face! No amount claiming whip lash woud work then?

So if by "on site" you mean someone elses back garden, then they are not protected there by law anyway. If you mean the client coming into their own garden and tripping over a twig then that is between you and the client, I'd happily see them in court if they are trying it on, but you should be able to manage the health and saftey of your client!

I know I've mentioned all this before, but i still go along with anybody working in public areas where people CAN come onto you worksite and trip over, then yes they should have insurance, and be a proper tree surgery outfit.

Thats not true mate.

You are liable regardless of where you are.

I know of a scrap metal man, where the police used ladders to get over his 12' fence, his dog bit them. he got done for "an unsupervised guard dog"

Some one else left their dishwasher open, a burglar was climbing over their roof, fell throw a skylight and landed on the cutlery basket of the dishwasher, they sued the home owner and won.

Sorry but rubbish.

If I cause harm though my own neglect/stupidity call it what you will I would want them to not have to sue me for a pittance but receive due compensation.

No Agree with that!! So you insure yourself then. You do that for the right reasons, not due to legal obligation.

My grief is folk asking if they should insure themselves to be legal?!! As if they dont know that if you do something to make money then you are responsible for anything that goes wrong.

You just should not be doing tree work without insurance common sense.

Thats called a cowboy, Being insured is part of the service and protection a customer is paying for.

I think you should be telling your customers your not insured see how many will want to use you i guess that really sums up what should or shouldent be done.

:thumbup:

The importance of having at least public liability insurance in place as a minimum cannot be ignored. I work in the business insurance sector and I've heard about cases where people haven't had cover in place - and then a seemingly simple incident explodes - and becomes a life changing event for those people paying for it themselves. As per the previous post from Tree_Surgeon_Essex having insurance in place gives your customers confidence not only that you know what you're doing - but that if something unexpected happens you are insured and they are protected. If you want to discuss your options just send me a message.

Kind Regards

Tim

Rubbish! Insurance is handed out willy nilly to anyone who wants it these days, it should not be taken as a sign that someone knows what they are doing!

This is one reason why I'm anti the "have a go weekenders" having insurance. If it makes customers think that that is what proffessional tree work is then its a shame for the industry.

Proffessionals have insurance. Having insurance does not make you proffessional.

Whilst I agree that insurance is good for all tree surgery companies, it is pointless for one man bands doing private work on the side. We still have not enough examples of insurance companies actually paying out for minor public cliams (we know more about employees payouts) and as such it coud be a waste of money being insured, if for example working alone (not in accordance with industry best practice).