Rebuilding an old Saw Bench

windfall

Well pardon me for pointing out a possible solution to your shipping problem and thanks but I did know JAP made both types of motor, I know more about vintage engines than I care to admit. Your mag is probably only a set of points away from a spark, I have a couple of sets on the shelf if you want or they are available on the bay for about 8 quid. The timing is the easiest thing in the world to sort.

Bikers don’t all whizz around on nasty rice burners do they? And even some of the ones that do still like old engines and they have mates on the mainland.

They might not want to install a stationary engine in a modern road bike but the barrel head and piston are all largely interchangeable with vintage machines, lad down the road and a bunch of his mates make an annual pilgrimage with vintage bikes.

Anyhow it was a solution, sorry if it came over sarcastic.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if i my reply came over wrong it wasnt meant to be taken that way, i thought you were pulling my chain.

I must say classics at the TT are getting rare, Manx GP week in sept has more classics mainly because its twinned with the classic southern race meeting.

I am making one mag out of three, hopefully ill get one that works! I will then fit it to the other Liner saw bench i have which has better body work.

Treequip thanks for your input, as i said my reply was meant to be jokey. Forums are difficult cause you can see someone laughing as they type.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw Bench is now up and running, i have made up new engine mounts and managed to obtain a 6inch twin pully from a guy on ebay who is representing his wifes familys business in Thaliand. The pulley came in 10 days direct from Thailand and cost £55.

I have also managed to include the large electric motor that is used to start the Petter, it is a dam sight easier to start this way than with the starting handle!

So next job is to build a sliding log feed / holder so that my handywandys are well clear from the cutting blade. Plan is to use scaffold bars/feet so that the holder it is height adjustable. Anyone know of any sliding bearings type things? I figure i need the holder to move 12inch at most.

The Petter engine is very powerful, probably a bit too powerful, when cutting a 6inch branch of oak long ways down its centre the engine pitch does not change. Its still at tickover. Tool Time Tim would be proud. lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1cM73ZMpbQ]YouTube - ‪LINER Saw Bench with a Petter Diesel Engine‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrKA9eZ2b5k]YouTube - ‪LINER Saw Bench with a Petter Diesel Engine Cutting‬‏[/ame]

• 6 months later...

I'll drag this thread up from the bowels of the site....

I've just got my Liner saw working. Got it from eBay in pretty rough condition (and nothing like £900...), it has needed quite a bit of restoration. The bearings holding the saw shaft were very wobbly, and replacing them is a brute of a job - you need to take the table off to do it properly, and you want to do it properly because the bearings are pricey.

It is also powered by a Petter PH2. I think it was an original fit, because the girders that the whole thing sits on are much wider than yours, and as a result, the PH2 is nice and low - so you can run wood though the saw and straight out the other side.

Yours doesn't have a riving knife or guard - be careful that a piece does not get caught on the blade and come back in your face at about 100 mph - that would hurt a lot.

As I understand it...you have two of these (one for spares) - if you happen to have an unused fence, I'm a buyer! I have most of the fence parts, but not the fence itself.

I'll post some pics when I have them, and if anyone wants a manual for one of these, I can make a copy.

Hi, Glad there is someone out there as mad as me for attempting to use a LINER!

YEs your right about the gaurd/knife, my spare saw has one though so when i strip that ill be removing it and fit it to my saw at the same time i raise the cutting bench to clear the motor so i can cut long planks.

Id love a manual!

The bearings holding the saw shaft were very wobbly, and replacing them is a brute of a job - you need to take the table off to do it properly, and you want to do it properly because the bearings are pricey.

I gave my petter driven Liner a rebuild last year. Inc new bearings, new belts and a new tipped blade so I know what you mean. Still if it does amother 50 - 60 years then it should have been worth it.

Starts 1st turn and runs all day on a mug of claret. I wouldn't be without it.