Tree Arson

Taupotreeman

Janey - replanting obligations vary from council to council and with the government recently changing the resource management act there is now less protection for trees. Council here has this archaic agreement that they will trim trees on COUNCIL land to keep the views of property owners, even if that means butchering the tree.

Monkey-D - couldn't agree with you more. I've tried to talk the council into leaving the dead stumps of poisoned tees (as long as they are not a public hazard) for 2 reasons. 1. as a natural habitat and 2. to stick it up those that are trying to get the tree removed by poisoning it. Unfortunately, many of the burbs here are affluent and the property owners think it is their god given right to have an unobstructed view of the lake. Tree poisoning happens on a regular basis and it doesn't matter what type of tree, how rare or what aesthetic value it has etc. If it's in the way it's fair game. Most issues occur (like this one) when the view is obstructed when the owner is looking out their window or sitting on the deck having a BBQ. It also seems many of the councillors don't have a clue and don't wish to upset their rate payers.

Skyhuck; this is the lake, although this is from the lake edge, so you can draw your own conclusions about the view. Believe it or not I have had several people ring me and ask what is suitable to use as a poison and how to apply it to their neighbours trees because they are blocking the view. I have one resident group at the moment taking a neighbour to court because she refuses to trim her trees down to return the view to those above her.

130.jpg.0b42bc4c2152e10a32190dee3bea339c.jpg

Janey - replanting obligations vary from council to council and with the government recently changing the resource management act there is now less protection for trees. Council here has this archaic agreement that they will trim trees on COUNCIL land to keep the views of property owners, even if that means butchering the tree.Monkey-D - couldn't agree with you more. I've tried to talk the council into leaving the dead stumps of poisoned tees (as long as they are not a public hazard) for 2 reasons. 1. as a natural habitat and 2. to stick it up those that are trying to get the tree removed by poisoning it. Unfortunately, many of the burbs here are affluent and the property owners think it is their god given right to have an unobstructed view of the lake. Tree poisoning happens on a regular basis and it doesn't matter what type of tree, how rare or what aesthetic value it has etc. If it's in the way it's fair game. Most issues occur (like this one) when the view is obstructed when the owner is looking out their window or sitting on the deck having a BBQ. It also seems many of the councillors don't have a clue and don't wish to upset their rate payers.

Whats so wrong with people wanting to keep their views?? I don't agree with people wanting a tree removing to gain a view they never had, but I can fully understand those who don't want trees to remove a view they have enjoyed for years.

And as for councilors not wanting to upset rate payers, I should hope they don't!!

They are supposed to be doing things for the benefit of the rate payers, thats their sole purpose!!!

Skyhuck; this is the lake, although this is from the lake edge, so you can draw your own conclusions about the view. Believe it or not I have had several people ring me and ask what is suitable to use as a poison and how to apply it to their neighbours trees because they are blocking the view. I have one resident group at the moment taking a neighbour to court because she refuses to trim her trees down to return the view to those above her.

I hope they win.

Skyhuck, many of the people that are wanting the trees trimmed are those that have moved in to a property where the trees are already well established. Some of the trees are over 50 years old, the properties about 10 to 15. Around the lake edge are council reserves where mature Oak trees etc can be found with the crowns reduced by about half to accomodate for the view. Most of the trees do not block the view in its entirety anyway as the house sites are elavated but people can get quite vitriolic if they don't get the full 180 degree view unobstructed. I also think there's a fine line between not upsetting rate payers and cowtowing to every little wish and whim of some of the rate payers with more financial clout than others.

Skyhuck, many of the people that are wanting the trees trimmed are those that have moved in to a property where the trees are already well established. Some of the trees are over 50 years old, the properties about 10 to 15. Around the lake edge are council reserves where mature Oak trees etc can be found with the crowns reduced by about half to accomodate for the view. Most of the trees do not block the view in its entirety anyway as the house sites are elavated but people can get quite vitriolic if they don't get the full 180 degree view unobstructed. I also think there's a fine line between not upsetting rate payers and cowtowing to every little wish and whim of some of the rate payers with more financial clout than others.

Whats so wrong with people wanting to keep their views?? I don't agree with people wanting a tree removing to gain a view they never had, but I can fully understand those who don't want trees to remove a view they have enjoyed for years.

And as for councilors not wanting to upset rate payers, I should hope they don't!!

They are supposed to be doing things for the benefit of the rate payers, thats their sole purpose!!!

:thumbup1: