This months Essential Arb - Cut and hold

mistahbenn

Top handeled chainsaws are not designed for one handed use. In my eyes its just lazy

I dont intend to offend you Cobbtree, but I find that statement rediculous and I feel a little bit insulted you calling people who use top handled saw one handed as lazy.

MS200T was designed for one handed use, it was just not intended for constant one handed use, otherwise they would have had a rear handle.

I think it is HSE over here and the number of accidents involving the top handled that has invoke legislation to restrict one handed use even more.

I use a top handle one handed the majority of the time and I have cut myself on the forearm once, which was when I was using it cross armed.

I have also had a close call with a 200t when it ran up my arm and hit my earmuff, which would have copped me in the jugular had it not hit the earmuff. This was due to bad work positioning, not one handed use.

Most accidents involving ms200t's are as a result of bad work positioning, rushing or just plain stupidity

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked with people who have cut themselves using a saw one handed and they were using it in a rediculous way there is ways of doing it safely and the same when using a saw with two hands you hold the saw in a way so if it kicks back it will kick back away from you. I didn't want to add to this thread but to say someone is lazy because of this reason is ridiculous I take pride in working hard always have. Some people are very capable of using a saw one handed safely and others just shouldn't even attempt it. I see your point on newbies thinking it's ok that's I didn't want to add as I would never encourage anyone to do it as they might not be able to handle a saw in this way.

I think previous comments about people cutting themselves explains that its not SAFER IN ANYWAY.

Rubbish mate

Previous comments, if you bother to go back and look, explain why people cut themselves, which usually involved cross handing or slipping, gaffing out, bad work positioning..............

Training to use the saw as it was designed for would be a better approach to the problem, rather than not allowing one handed use of a saw that was designed for one handed use

Legislation wise, what has happened to the 200t is what has happened to ladder use.

Accidents involving ladders was and is rife, simply because people haven't been shown, or dont have the common sense to use them properly. So the HSE come along and make up a load of restrictive work practices to try and reduce the number of accidents.

Tying the bottom off, tying the top off, making all new commercial buildings have ladder eyes fitted.

Where the simple answer is to just be shown how to use a ladder safely in the first place, when and when not they should be used etc etc etc

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

Chainsaws are incredible dangerous and can end your life in a heart beat!!!

We all know whether or not we have FULL control of a saw, be that one handed or two handed. We have all had near misses and should learn from them, if we don't we are truly stupid.

Personally I don't think one handing should be taught or seen as in any way as good practice, its a bit like free climbing, IMO, you know what your capable of and when its safe, if you do it at other times or copy the methods you have see some one else use your very likely to come a cropper.

Edited by skyhuck

Accident statistics a lot of the time (not always) will be people making stupid mistakes and not being competent in what they are doing. Just because people say something is dangerous doesn't mean it is my experiences with tutors etc is they had never done the job. It all comes with experience you feel what the saw is doing and trees for that matter and make your own mind up how you do things and feel comfortable doing. I would never criticize anyone who won't use a saw one handed but it doesn't make me lazy if I do