palax 55, i want 1

Stephen Blair

I have the pto version of the pilke they were £1600+vat a couple of years ago.Could run it of a static engine/motor, to free up the tractor.Have thought about this in the past, might be a project for the new year:thumbup:

I looked into converting my PTO one to Petrol once I sold the Carraro as the County was a bit overkill for running the sawbench and by the time you'd swapped all the pulleys and belts and made up all the other bits and then bougth an engine etc etc it looked more feasible to sell the PTO one and just buy the petrol one :biggrin:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do all

I had one of these 55s and it was a mistake selling it.

The saw runs the same time as the splitter. The saw is excellent, but as its only a small petrol engine you have to be carfull not to stall it. The splitter is ok for small stuff, i used it for slab wood to split meter lengths in two the cut up on the saw.

The big advantage of this ist hat you can whell it to a pile of wood, no tractor etc, or take it on a trailer to a garden etc.

I think its a really good tool, i paid £1800 +vat in 2007 not sure what they are now but i bet they are dear..

At leasti can borrow mine back now..

Bit of feed back.

That Palax saw seems a lot smaller than the 700mm one on the Hakki Pilke Eagle. I checked today and I found the Eagle would take up to 300mm dia timber.

Yesterday I used it with my son: I sawed while he split. Because you're working at 90 degrees to each other it's quite safe and you can keep an eye on what the other is doing. If one person saws at exactly at the same time as the other splits it's true that it overloads the PTO, but we easily got into rhythm where when he put a big lump on the splitter I momentarily eased off on the saw. It was no problem. The benefit of two people using it at the same time is that you produce twice as much split wood for a given amount of diesel used.

I use the jappa one,,,,works a treat,and saves your back from ringing with the chainsaw, we work it in twos as well, same as john says,,did twenty ton of alder a while back and still going strong, although the bar under the screww splitter isnt up to much when to beat it to get a stuck log off,,,,£1500 from fuelwood, and the saw has safe guard on it ,where as some leave the operators fingers in danger.

M Large supplied a number of eagles with Kohler 10hp engines with 2:1 reduction on the engine which allowed the use of a larger diameter engine pulley. If you can find 1 of these it s the best 1 . The honda versions were 5.5 or 6.5hp and are a little under powered. They still do the job though.