Dead Cordyline disposal.

18 stoner

You can rescue it by cutting down the main trunk to 3-5ft , and you should get two or three new growth points emerging directly from the stem at this point. If you leave these, they will all grow to produce a multi-headed effect, you could remove a couple of these buds as they develop to try and produce a single headed tree again if so desired though I think multi headed looks ok.

The best time to do this is april/may, whenever the weather starts to improve and temperatures start to rise, but leave well alone until you do or don’t see any signs of life – this could be as late as late may.

Edited by Big-Al

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate cabbage palms.. hate em, and thats just to look at...

disposal isnt too bad tho. the fronds (when dry) burn very well, i know a few people who collect them and tie them in a knot to use as kindling.

as for the trunks/stems, it seems greenmech disk chippers chip them very well (i spent quite a while trying to clog a 6" 34hp demo machine with the stuff and it coped admirably). no access to a gm, then habitat pile it is:001_tongue:

Funnily enough, it was as a result of wrapping the flywheel of my G/Mech that stopped me trying to chip them any more:001_rolleyes:

Perhaps I ought to try one through the Vermeer some time, but following past experience, I dont fancy hours of unwinding the stuff from that beast!:001_huh:

Funnily enough, it was as a result of wrapping the flywheel of my G/Mech that stopped me trying to chip them any more:001_rolleyes:

oh:001_huh: it was fresh cut, live cordyline i tryed to jam the demo greenmech with... a pickup load of 4-6" stems, fronds and all.

a different story with dead stuff perhaps? dead fronds do burn great tho, just put a match to it and its off.

Apparently, according to the local Maoris, if you leave them stored somewhere until they are properly dead and dry they make excellent kindling. Otherwise take em to the local tip in the back of the truck. They won't even take them for greenwaste composting here because the big tub grinders clog up with Cordyline and Flax fronds.

At most of the local council tips now they check the back of the truck to make sure you don't have Flax, Cordyline or Bamboo in the back. It takes ages to rot down and if you get caught hiding it in the bottom of the truck under other greenwaste (as some do) you're in the brown smelly stuff. The fronds do burn though but they need to be dry so it's probably a decent excuse to get a bonfire going.