selling fire wood

andy t

you a massive arm nice tatto

you get massive arms when they have to pull a massive beer belly into trees!!!! the tattoo is my engagement ring!! i am still waiting for her to buy my wedding ring!!!

back to the logs, parish news letters are also worth a try....

Kev.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you not find it spits a lot when dry?, OK in a stove but not so good on an open fire.

Also it has a very bad reputation as it's often sold wet, so don't go out of your way to tell the what it is, just say dry hard wood :grinning-smiley-003

Poplar burns like a bowl of pi$$.

mix it with some dry leylandii

• 2 weeks later...

first of all well done for getting out there to earn some money. as for sales do the following

get your timing right. although i advertise all year round the best time to advertise is when people need the wood. sales are always good from sept onwards, so start in august.

find a free ad site- usually paint a sign on the side of a road if you can with FIREWOOD and your number. (the council may ask you to take it down though)

then find papers to advertise in but shop around for the best price and try to haggle the cost down. i started with a weekly ad in the yellofree ads, just a basic ad. could not keep up with demand in the first year

Dont worry about it being poplar, just dont tell them, after all you are only 15.

just decide on a price you want to sell it for by doing research in your area but make sure you make a profit on it for all your work.

people who buy firewood usully know what they want , but are always swayed by price, best advice i can give is stick to your guns on price, there will always be another customer and the wood does not go off or have a sell by date. it can only get dryier.

never let anyone tell you it cant be sold or done and accept any challenges and you will do ok. i wish you all the best of luck.

Poplar seems to have a bad image-however-I have a huge pile left from the trees taken down for other reasons-ie free!

If dry it burns very well-you can almost light a log with a match-which is because matches are poplar!

The smoke is bitter but not eye wateringly so.

It burns brightly and is ideal for "top up" heating and gets going quickly, making it good for an "after supper fire" on a chilly evening.

It burns well on a bed of ashes in an open fire and doesnt seem to spit.

The problem lies with its density-almost half that of the the heavier hardwoods. When fully dry, the logs feel very light when hefted in the hand.

Therefore takes up twice the space and, psycologically, it seems you get through a lot! It makes excellent kindling.

Therefore -don't give it away but make sure it is dry

• 2 months later...

Andy, if you are happy to process the wood you should be able to make a few quid even if you have to buy in a bit of better grade wood to get started. Look after your regulars and they will look after you!

Also you might try http://www.carbonneutralfuel.com/logs.html for a cheap advert which will cover your immediate geographic area.

• 3 years later...