Boxing Day Hunt Meets

Matthew Arnold

Only if the landowner wants it accounting for, would'nt be very effective pest control if it was left

And where is the sport in that?? In my opinion the hunts are bad losers when they send the terriers in, once the fox has made it home then its game over end of!!! Also the day before the hunt go round blocking pots&outfalls, bridges and even filling badger sets in!!! And the sport in that is?? This is something I have SEEN and not heard! What a sad lot of people to get enjoyment and kicks out of that!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And where is the sport in that?? In my opinion the hunts are bad losers when they send the terriers in, once the fox has made it home then its game over end of!!! Also the day before the hunt go round blocking pots&outfalls, bridges and even filling badger sets in!!! And the sport in that is?? This is something I have SEEN and not heard! What a sad lot of people to get enjoyment and kicks out of that!

Like i said its for pest control, a lot of farmers would'nt want the hunt on unless they were controlling fox numbers and most foxes are accounted for by the terrierman not the hounds. The Burns Enquiry found that the average time for a fox being actually hunted was 4mins before it was lost or gone to ground so dont be fooled into thinking they are run to exhaustion before being dug to. In my experience the foxes that have been hunted hard are rarely dug unless they are a real problem and a lot of long hunts end out of the hunt country

The big hunt near us doesn't have any terrier men. They see it as unethical. If the fox has gone to ground it has got away. They know where they can and cannot run and will only go over certain obstacles (gates, low hedges, hunt jumps,etc) to prevent unwanted damage to the farmers fences. Where possible as well they would use the field margins or farm tracks.

Is the hunt nere you the Portman Matt? If so when did they stop using terrier men? as I have stayed down there a couple of times a few years back as i knew someone that worked for the hunt and once it was the last days hunting of the hill country and they had a fox in the terrier box of the terriermans quad for the next days hunting in case they didnt find.

Is the hunt nere you the Portman Matt? If so when did they stop using terrier men? as I have stayed down there a couple of times a few years back as i knew someone that worked for the hunt and once it was the last days hunting of the hill country and they had a fox in the terrier box of the terriermans quad for the next days hunting in case they didnt find.

Ye. Got Portman and Blackmore Vale Hunt. I was told by a friend of mine who used to be a terrierman for portman that they didnt require his services when the Hunting Act came into force.

It was just after the ban and they had a young lad start there I cant remember much about him apart from he was in trouble for thretening his girl friend with a shot gun. I think there had been a big falling out with terrier men or something cant really remamber as it was so long ago. Have you been in the kennels up there they are nice old buildings but very exposed to the wind.

Did you know any of the grooms?

It was just after the ban and they had a young lad start there I cant remember much about him apart from he was in trouble for thretening his girl friend with a shot gun. I think there had been a big falling out with terrier men or something cant really remamber as it was so long ago. Have you been in the kennels up there they are nice old buildings but very exposed to the wind.

Did you know any of the grooms?

Ye been uyp there a few times controlling the rabbits in the paddocks. Cracking old buildings but like you said very exposed to the wind. I knew a few of them but getting to know the new younger generation. A few of my friends from college ride alot with them.

And where is the sport in that??]In my opinion the hunts are bad losers when they send the terriers in, once the fox has made it home then its game over end of!!! Also the day before the hunt go round blocking pots&outfalls, bridges and even filling badger sets in!!! And the sport in that is?? This is something I have SEEN and not heard! What a sad lot of people to get enjoyment and kicks out of that!

I think youve misread what waz was saying . He was saying it is purily pest control when the fox is dispatched under those circumstances, but you cried it sport... It is not and if people think it is they should find something else to do.

Alot of people on this thread seem to be giving out the impression the hounds can catch the fox, this is false and illegal , so either it gets shot by a marksman or the hounds must be called off.

u1000mog , I have witnessed stuff in other fieldsports that appauled me and would appaul you.

Arborist, I cant believe you were a whipper in to a beagle pack and dont still feel some passion for working hounds ?? :001_smile: