Having lost another 6 ton of roadside produce today, it got me to thinking about how much we have lost this year and I am currently estimating around the 60t mark - mostly hardwood firewood but also some pallet wood and post wood.

Does anybody else have this re-occuring problem on semi-commercial harvesting sites? If so has anyone got any tips to deter thieves and firewood wannabes?

Cheers

Matt

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had one job on an old railway line which is now used as a walk, the boys were in thinning and 200yds up the path a guy was caught out with a bowsaw and a wheelbarrow in broad daylight, middle of the day, middle of the week.... the cheek!!!

What really gets on my jublies is the fact that I have paid everyone for the cutting, paid for the extraction, and when the wood is stolen it causes me nothing but pure loss right in the pocket.

On another job we had a load of 3.7m sawlogs at roadside waiting to go to the mill - some smart-arsed scumbag decided to lop a foot off the end of every log for firewood overnight, I didnt know about it and the whole load was rejected from the mill costing me £830!! Luckily I was able to get the logs cut back to 3.4m in the sawmill yard but then I was down on tonnage.

Edited by Monkey-D

6t is a lot in a night Matt.

Pro job?:sneaky2:

I have a strong suspicion about who it is but no proof.. what annoys me is that I had a guy in with the tractor and forwarding trailer today to pick it up who spent 4 hrs with the machine looking for non-existant wood

I hate the fact that people help themselfs to wood that they know dosent belong to them and even worse that people are owed money for... it is literally taking food out of somebody mouth!

The forestry commmission have camara's in the wood that work on sensor's,To catch T**T's . Could try this if your wood is at road side. Think the camara's or for watching bird.

I like the camera idea... I was thinking maybe the trail cameras you can buy for observing deer etc.

I would need a camera that could produce images of reasonable quality for recognition and identification by police as well as any vehicle registration numbers.

Another slant on this idea was to mount a big CCTV camera at the access gates with a sign saying 'smile, you're on CCTV' but have it mounted on the gate strainer facing right at the vehicle

We had one job on an old railway line which is now used as a walk, the boys were in thinning and 200yds up the path a guy was caught out with a bowsaw and a wheelbarrow in broad daylight, middle of the day, middle of the week.... the cheek!!!

What really gets on my jublies is the fact that I have paid everyone for the cutting, paid for the extraction, and when the wood is stolen it causes me nothing but pure loss right in the pocket.

On another job we had a load of 3.7m sawlogs at roadside waiting to go to the mill - some smart-arsed scumbag decided to lop a foot off the end of every log for firewood overnight, I didnt know about it and the whole load was rejected from the mill costing me £830!! Luckily I was able to get the logs cut back to 3.4m in the sawmill yard but then I was down on tonnage.

i had a load rejected at UPM pulp mill at irvine, cutters were measuring with saw, pulp was too long, had to cut back the whole load, 27tons of 3 m takes a bit of hand balling:thumbdown: