Fire rope seal

Lancstree

Cheers Gareth. I'll let you know how i get on with the adjustment. Going off what clearview say i should be able to get a good seal all the way round with a new stove. Where abouts in Down are you? I've got family in Saintfield and Carryduff amongst other places

Just outside Holywood North Down. About 50mm of snow has just fallen in the last 1hour up here, popped out earlier to collect something and had to deflate the tyres in the van to get back home.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just tried adjusting the door. Turned the hinge blocks 180 degrees clockwise, tried it but still not a good seal on the handle side. Wound the handle out 1 turn and the result is that it bites paper well on both sides but there is still very little resistance in the middle top of the door. Also with the hinge and handle set this way I can't close the door so that the handle sits vertically which tells me that there is a lot of pressure being exerted on certain parts of the rope. I'm at a loss with this

Had a good long chat with clearview on saturday and have since regained a good seal. I ended up taking the door off, winding the hinge blocks all the way in, then back out making sure they were turned the same amount of revolutions. It was then a case of put one on, take one off until the hinges were right. Then i pinched the fire rope between the thumb and index finger and ran it up and down the rope to get its shape back a bit. Finally I've put one turn on the handle to make the seal tighter on that side. This is a little too much and the catch on the handle grinds a bit so I push the handle down just enough to get a good seal. Paper cannot be inserted through any part now and if you trap it in the the door there is good resistance when you try to pull it out.

Clearview reckon its a possibility that the fitter took the door off to make it easier to carry the stove but it was put back on with the hinge blocks set differently. This can easily happen as the blocks turn quite freely. If I have been using the stove with the door not set correctly then the rope will have prematurely compressed unevenly

Darn. Thought it was fixed but was wrong! The gap is back so I'm going to buy some new fire rope and start again. I know I shouldn't have to because the fire is so new but its burning through the logs faster than it should and the glass steams up after a few hours.

Gareth, when you put new rope on did you have to adjust the door hinge blocks at all?

We have a brand new Clearview Vision 500 we're just fitting in one of our holiday lets. Never been lit. The rope seal is tight all the way round -- no gaps. It sits squarely against the metal as the door closes and then compresses very tightly as you turn the handle to close. Complete airtight seal.

Hope that helps.

Darn. Thought it was fixed but was wrong! The gap is back so I'm going to buy some new fire rope and start again. I know I shouldn't have to because the fire is so new but its burning through the logs faster than it should and the glass steams up after a few hours.

Gareth, when you put new rope on did you have to adjust the door hinge blocks at all?

You sound like a very patient man, Will they not come out wnd fix it for you? Seems like your paying extra to fix shoddy workmanship.

I'm sort of stuck between the supplier and the manufacturer. The manufacturer say that they are properly sealed and under go rigorous examination before they leave the factory. The people in the shop where I got it have only just started dealing with clearview so don't have a lot of knowledge about the stoves. I'm going up to speak with them today.

I'm sort of stuck between the supplier and the manufacturer. The manufacturer say that they are properly sealed and under go rigorous examination before they leave the factory. The people in the shop where I got it have only just started dealing with clearview so don't have a lot of knowledge about the stoves. I'm going up to speak with them today.

Isn't this their chance to get some experience:001_huh: